none
Adding Sub-menus to .NET 4 Shell context menu handler Example RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I've recently been playing around with the Shell context menu handler (.NET 4) found below:

VBShellExtContextMenuHandler :   Shell context menu handler (VB.NET)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/codefx/archive/2010/10/10/writing-windows-shell-extension-with-net-framework-4-c-vb-net-part-2.aspx

Currently I have been unable to find a way to create sub-menus in the contect menu. Something like WinRAR does with archive folders (Example: Right-Click on rar files, and (depending if you enabled casscading menus when you installed it) you'll see the WinRar Menu. WinRar > Extract Files, Extract Here, ...

Does anyone know how to accomplish this with the example above. I basically just need to make a cascading menu that can be: convert to > bmp, jpg, gif, .. so on. (i.e. The menu item would be "Convert To" which would have a sub-menu with the MenuItems of File types.

p.s. does anyone know how it handles multiple files a selected in explorer? Is it possible to retrieve the list of all the files selected. (I.e. to be able to batch process.)

Thanks.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:21 PM

Answers

• In .NET 4, with the ability to have multiple runtimes in process with any other runtime, this specific limitation is no longer an issue.  However, this programming scenario has not been fully tested by the Windows Shell team and there are other known issues.  It is not supported to write Windows Shell Extension using .NET 4 today.
    Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, January 17, 2011 7:08 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 5:29 AM