none
Visual Studio Lagging RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've implemented my language service, and from a functional point of view, everything works quite well. However, I have the issue that Visual Studio shortly freezes after each parse-operation. I was wandering how this can be, as parsing happens in a background thread. Furthermore, the lagging gets worse the longer one works on a single file (the parse-time, however, remains almost constant).

This is extremely annoying because VS does not react for a short period of time (far less than a second). The problem is that as a user, the lag is noticable as the cursor doesn't move and then performs all "missed" key-actions almost at once.

I hope someone can help me / point in the right direction, as I have absolutely no idea what could be going wrong here.

Thanks,
    Max

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Max,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 22, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Hi,

I tried to figure out where the lag/freezing comes from, but I've not been successful so far. I'm only quite sure by now that it's NOT from my custom parser (I disabled it entirely - the ParseSource()-Method of the LanguageService now just returns the supplied parameter "request.Scope" unchanged). Also, it doesn't seem to be caused by my LineScanner - I also disabled it entirely, but the lag remains. It seems that the short freeze of Visual Studio occurs AFTER ParseSource() returns. I don't change the returned AuthoringScope, I guess there's nothing nasty in there as well...

Regards

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:30 PM
  • I'm not going to try and hazard a guess without data. Profiling would be the next step. Using the Visual Studio profiler itself, or possibly the PerfView tool - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28567.
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 1:52 AM