none
Problems with EF 4.1 Installer RRS feed

• Question

• Been using NuGet to access the EF 4.1 runtime. This is because I have not been able to successfully run the installer due to the following error:

This application requires .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile RTM...

The machine has .NET Framework 4 Client Profile on it. It is in my Programs list, and I've been developing .NET 4 on this machine for almost a year. I have repaired, uninstalled, and re-installed .NET 4 and it hasn't helped.

This is a 32-bit Vista machine.

Any ideas?

• Moved by Alan_chen Friday, April 22, 2011 2:30 AM setup (From:ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities)
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• @LanceLinq:

This is a classic "Run As" in Windows 7 issue. Instead of running directly after downloading, do Save As somewhere and then right click on the .exe "Run As" administrator (even if you are currently logged in as Admin). The installer is showing wrong message. Just installed it a min ago.

Hope this helps! I wish the MS guys had suggested this before I did as I spend 1 hour of my time just reinstalling/reparing .Net 4.0 :)

• Proposed as answer by Rachit Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by LanceLinq Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:23 PM
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:17 PM

All replies

•  

Hi LanceLinq

Welcome!

According to your description, You can refer here to download EF4.1 RTW:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2011/04/11/ef-4-1-released.aspx, you should install NuGet Package Manager, here is the steps:  http://nuget.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20the%20Extension%20Manager%20to%20Install%20the%20Library%20Package%20Manager%20%28NuGet%29

I hope it could help you.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:31 AM
  • I believe you misunderstood me.

I have the Nuget Package Manager. This is how I have been able to use Entity Framework up to this point.

However, I would like to be able to install it from the installer, in order to get the tooling, and not just the runtime. I used the standalone installer linked from the page you referenced, but keep getting the error: This application requires .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile RTM...

The problem is that the installer fails to detect that I DO have the Client Profile prerequisite installed already.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:05 PM
  •  

Hi LanceLinq,

Thanks for your feedback!

ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.1 requires .NET Framework 4.0 RTM to be installed. I'm not good at it, I will help you move this post to Setup Forum for better support, thanks for understanding.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 22, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Hi LanceLinq,

Thank you for posting.

After I checked your post, I checked the prerequisites of ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.1. I found ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.1 requires .NET Framework 4.0 RTM to be installed.

So first of all, could you please ensure if .Net Framework 4 was installed on your machine or not. If not, I suggest you can download .Net Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) and try to install it on your machine.

If you have any question during installation, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:49 AM
  • I keep saying this, but YES, .Net Framework 4 is installed on this machine.

In fact, I actually repaired my Framework 4 install from the standalone installer you linked to above... and that did not work.

I then totally UN-installed Framework 4 and RE-installed it from the standalone installer. That did not work either.

I still cannot install EF 4.1 on this machine, it keeps telling me that This application requires .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile RTM...

The weird thing is that I can use the EF 4.1 runtime from the Nuget package just fine. However, that is not getting me the new tooling.

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:04 PM
  • @LanceLinq:

This is a classic "Run As" in Windows 7 issue. Instead of running directly after downloading, do Save As somewhere and then right click on the .exe "Run As" administrator (even if you are currently logged in as Admin). The installer is showing wrong message. Just installed it a min ago.

Hope this helps! I wish the MS guys had suggested this before I did as I spend 1 hour of my time just reinstalling/reparing .Net 4.0 :)

• Proposed as answer by Rachit Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by LanceLinq Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:23 PM
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Yep Rachit, that was the problem! (Though this was a Vista box...)

Wish I could say I spent only an hour reinstalling and repairing. Would have been out of luck if it hadn't been for the Nuget runtime.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 10:25 PM