none
Unable to Target 2.0 Framework in VS2010

Question

• I have been using VS2005 for some time to build VB.NET applications using the 2.0 Framework.  I recently installed VS2010 on the same machine and am using it to build 4.0 Framework VB.NET applications.  All the apps work fine, and AddOrRemovePrograms shows Frameworks 1.1 through 4 installed, including the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack".  BUT, I am unable to use VS2010 to build applications to run on the 2.0 Framework, and (mis?) understand that should be do-able.  I opened an incident with MicrosoftConnect in August ("Framework Multi-Target Woes in VS2010") and sent off requested information twice, but have no response now for a month.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is some detail:

The NewProject dialog only shows [.NET Framework 4].

If I try to open a 2005/2.0 project in 2010 it announces [The VB project "MyProject" is targeting ".NETFrameworkVersion=v2.0", which is not installed on this machine.  You must download this framework, as well as .NET Framework 3.5, in order to open and build this project].

If I start a new project and then pick Project - Properties - Compile - AdvancedCompileSettings, the "Target framework" pulldown only lists [.NET Framework 4 Client Profile], [.NET Framework 4], and [Install other frameworks].

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi RomTom,

What is your Windows version?

Please try to install .NET 3.5 SP1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en.

Let me know the verify result of using the .NET verify tool at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/13/10012778.aspx
    If you still have problems, please let me know.

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

bad news: if your 2.0 framework is not ok (as the message suggests) there is no way on earth you can recover 2.0 without removing all later frameworks like 3.5, 4.0 first, uninstalling and then installing again 2.0 and installing the next 3.5 and 4.0.

Which basically means you need to remove all studios first too.

I will be glad if some MS guru proofs me wrong... please no stupid support links with manual registry cleanings.

cheers

Valko

Regards Valko
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:45 PM
  • Some more information based on replies:

My AddOrRemovePrograms list shows the following Frameworks:  Compact1.0SP3Developer, Compact2.0, 1.1, 2.0SP1, 3.0SP1, 3.5, 4ClientProfile, 4Extended, and 4Multi-TargetingPack.

The FrameworkVerifierTool listed and verified 1.1SP1, 2.0SP1, 3.0SP1, 3.5, 4Client and 4Full.

VS2010 still just sees Framework 4, and is apparently oblivious that the others are installed.  I am running XP Pro SP3.

Is there some key to “waking up” VS2010 to see the other Frameworks are already installed, or mebbe a “missing link” (like 3.5SP1?) that’s necessary for VS2010 to become past-Framework-aware, or do I have to bust everything down and re-install it in exactly the right order for all this to work?  I can use 2.0 from VS2005 and 4.0 from 2010, so maybe that’s as good as it gets…

Thanks for your input/help!

Friday, October 15, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi RomTom,

Please install .NET 3.5 SP1 as I mentioned previously from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en.

You don't even to install .NET 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 before 3.5 SP1, as the setup of 3.5 SP1 includes .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2.

Let me know if you have difficulties on the installation.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, October 25, 2010 2:41 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

bad news: if your 2.0 framework is not ok (as the message suggests) there is no way on earth you can recover 2.0 without removing all later frameworks like 3.5, 4.0 first, uninstalling and then installing again 2.0 and installing the next 3.5 and 4.0.

Which basically means you need to remove all studios first too.

I will be glad if some MS guru proofs me wrong... please no stupid support links with manual registry cleanings.

cheers

Valko

Regards Valko

Hi Valko, .NET Framework work 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 3.5SP1 uses core 2.0 CLRv2, but it doesn't mean .NET 3.5 SP1 setup need .NET 2.0 installed as prerequisites. Though the naming might cause some confusing to you, .NET 3.5 SP1 can be installed alone no matter .NET 2.0 is installed or not.

Hope this clarify a bit about the concepts.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Hallo Figo -

That's much better, thanks!  The only thing now is, when I use 2010 to open a 2005/F2 project, I get the VisualStudioConversionWizard dialog telling me that the "solution or project you are opening must be converted".  Is there no way to tell VS2010 at that point to just leave the project in F2?

Thanks for your help!

RT

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Hi

Not sure what F2 refers to here. But if the format keeps unchanged, VS2010 cannot read and use it. :)

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Figo,

OK thanks!  F2 was my poor shorthand for Framework 2.0.  'Makes sense the format change/accommodation, but I can hope for "miracles" anyway...

RT

Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Hi All,

I would like to ask again about this topic,

I encounter the same problem, the only difference is i have all the frameworks already installed on my PC (2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 3.5SP1)and my VS2008 enables choosing older frameworks, only the VS2010 only lets me choose the 4.0

Thanks,

Alex.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:53 AM