none
Migration of Excel 2010 Add-In Solution from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing to determine how best to implement a modified Ribbon Add-In - transparent to the end business user;

We have migrated a Excel 2010 Add-In solution, originally built in Visual Studio 2010 - to Visual Studio 2012;

The solution compiles successfully in Visual Studio 2012, with minor Visual Basic .Net syntax changes to the Ribbon file, and to the AssemblyInfo.vb file (please see below code snippet for the 2 commented out lines); 

'<Assembly: ExcelLocale1033(True)>

'<Assembly: SecurityTransparent()>

The new Visual Studio 2012 Excel Add-In solution is published successfully to SharePoint, and if a business user brings an Excel document on their laptop computer, the correct message of "a new version of the OSE Ribbon..." displays;

However, after the successful installation of the new Excel Add-In solution (built with Visual Studio 2012) - if a business user brings up an Excel document, the Ribbon Add-In is now missing from the Excel Ribbon;

A manual installation of the Ribbon Add-In is an option, and does work OK;

However, the goal is avoid having the end business user be required to manually re-install the Ribbon Add-In;

Thanks in advance for any insight;

robert hellestrae

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hello Rob,

I'm trying to understand your process, but I have a number of additional questions.

1. How are you currently deploying the Add-in?

2. How is SharePoint used in this solution?

3. After the installation when the add-in is missing, is the add-in listed under File > Options > Add-ins?

4. Are you trying to remove the previous add-in when installing the new add-in?

5. Is there some code in the Excel workbook that triggers the add-in installation?

6. Has there been any changes to Excel or are you still using Excel 2010?

Any steps further describing the process or articles you've followed to create this solution would be helpful.

Regards,

Dennis

• Marked as answer by rrobhelle Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Hello Robert,

Have you tested with a simple add-in (with a ribbon control) created in Visual Studio 2012 and do you face the same issue?

Thanks,

Sreerenj G Nair

• Marked as answer by rrobhelle Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:59 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult my colleague on your issue. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Thanks Quist;

Any insight is appreciated;

Best regards - Rob

robert hellestrae

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Hello Rob,

I'm trying to understand your process, but I have a number of additional questions.

1. How are you currently deploying the Add-in?

3. After the installation when the add-in is missing, is the add-in listed under File > Options > Add-ins?

5. Is there some code in the Excel workbook that triggers the add-in installation?

Any steps further describing the process or articles you've followed to create this solution would be helpful.

Regards,

Dennis

• Marked as answer by rrobhelle Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:27 PM
  • 1. How are you currently deploying the Add-in?

The Add-in was deployed by Visual Studio 2012, created in Visual Studio 2010 with VB language

The sharepoint is only a repository and it is used to install from there the add-in

Yes, but the message is “Add-Ins not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In”

No, I am trying to update the add-in (deployed with VS2010) with the new version published (and deployed with VS2012) but the add-in when finish is not able to start again. However if I remove the add-in and install again everything is ok, but I need to do the update transparently…

Yes, this is the code Start("http://nemesiscr/crmribbon/CRM%20Analytic%20Ribbon.vsto")

We use both excel 2010 and excel 2013, and it is working ok in both but the update process is invaliding the add-in, this is our problem…

robert hellestrae

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Hello Robert,

Have you tested with a simple add-in (with a ribbon control) created in Visual Studio 2012 and do you face the same issue?

Thanks,

Sreerenj G Nair

• Marked as answer by rrobhelle Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:59 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Thanks Sreerenj;

I will try to run a test with an add-in (with a ribbon control) created in Visual Studio 2012;

Best regards - Rob

robert hellestrae

Monday, April 8, 2013 5:15 PM