msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll not in WinSXS, why? RRS feed

• Question

• Why msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll are not part of WinSxS and they are installed instead in windows/system32?

This has been a huge surprise for me, could someone please explain me the reason why? Back to dll ____ days?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Javi

Visual C++ libraries no longer depend on manifests and are no longer installed in the WinSxS folder. Normally, the higher minor version have compatibility with the lower one. Once Microsoft provides a hotfix, which is a patched version of the affected library, Microsoft automatically updates library files that are centrally-deployed (installed in System32 Directory).

For more information about CRT Libraries, please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293574%28VS.100%29.aspx.

Cheers,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Yi Feng Li Friday, December 17, 2010 3:59 AM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 11:46 AM

All replies

• Why msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll are not part of WinSxS and they are installed instead in windows/system32?
    This has been a huge surprise for me, could someone please explain me the reason why? Back to dll __ days?

Yep. SxS proved as much of an annoyance as DLL ____ did :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293565.aspx

Dave

Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Manifest h*ll vs. Dll h*ll.  I wonder how many engineering dollars were consumed by these efforts!

-- David
    < /DIV>

Efficiently read and post to forums with newsreaders: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:37 PM
  • First of all, thanks a lot for your answers, I really appreciate them.

I agree that binding an application with its Dll´s using a manifest and through the WinSxS is not the sleekest thing on earth and sometimes it´s a mess to find out what is missing when the application refuses to load. 

But what´s the real problem with this to skip its use with the Visual Studio 2010?  You still have the option to install the vcredist_x86/64 in order to deploy your application compiled with VS 2010, so if this way to deploy an app is still there, I don´t understand why (besides the annoyance of having to install vcredist.exe) the manifests/WinSxS fashion becomes a problem. 

What´s going to happen when new versions of msvcrt100.dll are deployed? I just cannot believe that they will just overwrite the previous one like in the old (terrible) days, is this really going to happen?

Thanks again.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Hi Javi

Visual C++ libraries no longer depend on manifests and are no longer installed in the WinSxS folder. Normally, the higher minor version have compatibility with the lower one. Once Microsoft provides a hotfix, which is a patched version of the affected library, Microsoft automatically updates library files that are centrally-deployed (installed in System32 Directory).

For more information about CRT Libraries, please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd293574%28VS.100%29.aspx.

Cheers,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Yi Feng Li Friday, December 17, 2010 3:59 AM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 11:46 AM
  • I am looking for clarification.

I have two applications as a standalone package.  one compiled in vs2010 and the other in 2013.

For vs2010

Can I just grab a copy of my current msvcr100.dll and msvcp100.dll  and copy them into my application directory of the target user machine.

For vs2013

Can I just grab a copy of my current msvcr120.dll and msvcp120.dll  and copy them into my application directory of the target user machine.

Would I get into trouble if I copy all 4 files so I can have part in 2010 and part in 2013

Cheers

John Keays

John Keays

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:44 AM
  • why not install the 2010 Run-time and 2013 run-time instead of copying, at-least you can be sure you did the right thing.
    Friday, October 3, 2014 5:01 AM