none
WCF errors when migrating from localhost to remote? Share your war stories here for future reference RRS feed

  • Question

  • General question:  can anybody think of the most likely reason for this problem (running under Visual Studio 2008 Professional, C#):?

    I wrote a database program using Silverlight and using Linq-to-SQL in C# and it worked fine in localhost.  It employed various WCF web services as well.

    I ported this program from localhost to a remote host, including the MS SQL Server 2008 database the program depends on.

    MOST of the WCF web services work exactly as before--most, but not all. MOST of the program runs exactly as before, even though it is remote--most but not all. Hence this question.

    A few WCF web services will not work (you get obsure errors, apparently originating remotely).

    If I switch back to localhost, the errors disappear. 

    But again, not all web services have this error.

    My suspicion:  I think certain DLLs were 'corrupted' in the transfer from local to remote.  Rebuilding the web services does not help.  I think I'll have to rewrite from scratch the web services affected.

    The connection strings were 'globally' changed (using web.config file).

    Does this problem ring a bell?  Please answer so that future viewers can learn.  I don't think I'm the only one.

    I will post more as I learn more, but I just want to start the thread.

    Like I say, certain WCF web services work, others don't.  Perhaps the .DMBL drag-and-drop database relationship file was geared (internally) to the local database, and now that the database is remote it causes problems?  But why for certain web methods and not for others?  As far as I can tell they are identical.  Besides, the connections strings were "globally" changed from local to remote database (via Web.config) so that should not matter.

    I personally think it's a "bug" in Visual Studio 2008.


    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:09 AM

Answers

  • Hello, I won't encourage you to guess in the wild. There can be a lot of potential causes. Just to name a few: Some assemblies are not copied to the server, the server doesn't have a particular component installed, the server has certain security policy that prevents certain code from executing, and so on. What exactly problems do you have on services that don't work?
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Windows Azure Technical Forum Support Team Blog
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:21 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:03 AM

All replies

  • Hello, I won't encourage you to guess in the wild. There can be a lot of potential causes. Just to name a few: Some assemblies are not copied to the server, the server doesn't have a particular component installed, the server has certain security policy that prevents certain code from executing, and so on. What exactly problems do you have on services that don't work?
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Windows Azure Technical Forum Support Team Blog
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:21 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Hello, I won't encourage you to guess in the wild. There can be a lot of potential causes. Just to name a few: Some assemblies are not copied to the server, the server doesn't have a particular component installed, the server has certain security policy that prevents certain code from executing, and so on. What exactly problems do you have on services that don't work?
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Windows Azure Technical Forum Support Team Blog

    You are correct.  It turned out it was the most trivial of errors:  my remote database was an earlier instantiation that lacked a certain table.  My modified program required this table.  In my haste I forgot that I had not uploaded the new database to the remote server.  Once I did this, the program worked fine.  A simple and trivial mistake on my part.  

    However, I am intrigued by your "potential causes" and would love to learn more, if there are links that are convenient on this topic.  However in the interests of time I will mark your reply as an answer.


    Thank you for your attention.

    Pat

    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:40 PM