none
The application associated with this project type isn't installed on this computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First time on this forum, and just trying to create an Excel add-in for the first time ever and very frustrating to run into this issue at this stage. For starters, Excel IS installed (from a 365 account) and using VS 2017 (so I'm guessing they should be compatible?) and running both without problems. I created an Add-in with the default options and when selecting Start I get the error window:

"The application associated with this project type isn't installed on this computer. You must install the Microsoft Office application that is associated with this project type."

Selecting ok prompts another dialog window warning that "There were deployment errors" and asking if I wanted to continue.

Selecting yes, shows yet another error window: "Unable to start the program 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Office\Office16\excel.exe'. The system cannot find the file specified"

The location the error makes reference to doesn't exist, at least not the Office16\excel.exe part. Excel is located under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

Anyone has any pointers as to how to bypass this error and get VS to understand where Excel is?

Thanks.

Friday, May 11, 2018 10:49 PM

All replies

• For anyone interested, after much googling and trying different things, I was able to resolve this issue by changing  <TargetOfficeVersion>15.0</TargetOfficeVersion> to <TargetOfficeVersion>14.0</TargetOfficeVersion> in the project's .csproj file...

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it works... 

Friday, May 11, 2018 11:23 PM
  • Hello DanielBohorquze,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. I would suggest you to mark your solution to help people who runs into the same issue could find the solution more efficiently.

If you have any other VSTO issue, please feel free to post threads to let us know.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 14, 2018 2:09 AM
  • Do not start Excel like:

'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesX64\Microsoft Office\Office16\excel.exe'

But start excel like 'cmd.exe /c start excel.exe'

Let the system find out which Excel is installed and were ;-)

Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Please confirm where to change the above setting. Thanks 
    Monday, June 17, 2019 11:43 PM