none
HELP -- faulting module KERNEL32.dll error

Question

• Hi Guys

We have a windows service written in c# .net 3.5 (visual studio 2008). This service calls an exe - UIConsole.exe

UIConsole.exe processes files dropped in a shared location.

Everything was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when we did a release to production and things stopped working. The odd thing is we didn't make any changes to either the service or the exe - but to the web project which resides in the same solution. What's even more crazy is that in dev and QA everything works fine but in prod it's giving the stupid error (below). Can someone help?

The following error is generated:

Faulting application UIConsole.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4c912e62, faulting module KERNEL32.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a76d, exception code 0xe0434f4d, fault offset 0x000442eb, process id 0x%9, application start time 0x%10

Can someone please help?

This is in Windows server 2008 envt. The service is running under an account that is in the ADMIN group and both the folder where the exe lives and the folder where the files to process live have full permissions to admin.

A couple of other side notes: I have stopped all services related to Symantec and also Windows firewall is turned off.

Thanks

D

DV
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:25 PM

Answers

• aha..it turns out I missed ONE dll and so it gave the craziest error ever possible.

For others..here is how I finally figured out:

Well my service was calling an exe..so I tried something I should have done first: run the exe directly. As soon as I did that, I got the error that made sense. Some other things I tried from googling: Change registry, remove/disable firewall, anti-virus, reinstall .net framework.

This should give you an idea how many different reasons throw this Kernel32 error. I wish it were different.

DV

• Marked as answer by tinuverma Friday, September 17, 2010 8:10 PM
    • Edited by tinuverma Monday, September 20, 2010 6:51 PM updating answer adding more helping info.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• Any ideas guys?
    DV
    • Marked as answer by tinuverma Friday, September 17, 2010 8:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by tinuverma Friday, September 17, 2010 8:09 PM
    Friday, September 17, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Right now trying to remove any group policies that might be doing something odd. Rebooting server. In the mean while, guys if anyone has any suggestions, please do mention.
    DV
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:31 PM
  • aha..it turns out I missed ONE dll and so it gave the craziest error ever possible.

For others..here is how I finally figured out:

Well my service was calling an exe..so I tried something I should have done first: run the exe directly. As soon as I did that, I got the error that made sense. Some other things I tried from googling: Change registry, remove/disable firewall, anti-virus, reinstall .net framework.

This should give you an idea how many different reasons throw this Kernel32 error. I wish it were different.

DV

• Marked as answer by tinuverma Friday, September 17, 2010 8:10 PM
    • Edited by tinuverma Monday, September 20, 2010 6:51 PM updating answer adding more helping info.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 8:09 PM