none
Visual Studio UWP simulator debugger not working on win 10 HOME RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've noticed that when I debug my UWP application using the Simulator on my Laptop which runs on Windows 10 Home the simulator hangs on the progress bar and the simulator window just show the blue dots going across which never starts. 

I've noticed that this does not occur on a machine that runs on Windows 10 Pro. 

I performed the following test on two other VMs 

Details 

Visual Studio Community 2019 (latest Version)

both 64 bit 
    no passwords on user accounts 

Window 10 Home VM - Fails to start as described above 
    Windows 10 Pro VM - Runs with no issues.

My guess is that this feature does not work on machines nor VMs that run on Windows 10 Home edition is that correct?

• Changed type DevLex21 Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:55 PM no answers yet
    Friday, June 14, 2019 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hi DevLex21,

Sorry for delay in reply.

According to your description, it seems to lack some related setting for your win10 home. Please follow the suggestions to check it:

## check the windows features

Please compare the windows features in win10 Home and win10 pro, to check if the related features are enabled.

Note: Type "windows features" in search bar

##enable the visualization technology from BIOS

• enter the system BIOS
    • Advanced/ Process Configuration
    • enable "Intel® VT for Directed I/O"

If there is any update information, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:02 AM
  • I've checked against and Pro and Home version and see not difference in the features enabled. This is running on the same system that has virtualization enabled. 

• Edited by DevLex21 Monday, June 24, 2019 12:32 AM
    Monday, June 24, 2019 12:29 AM
  • Hi DevLex21,

Thank you for reply.

After my research, windows simulator needs to run on the machine which has installed Hyper-V. Hyper-V could let you run multiple operating systems as virtual machines on Windows. It could be enabled in windows pro, enterprise and edu, but it could not install on the windows home.

NOTE: Hyper-V is built into Windows as an optional feature -- there is no Hyper-V download.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Thank you for the response, but why doesn't Visual Studios notify a user with an error indicating this?
    Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:47 AM