none
CLI header and C# RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a c# application and i want to hide code of that c# application. When i use reflector for my application exe / dll it, shows all the code of dll / exe. But i want to hide the code of that dll and exe . Can anyone tell me how to hide that code ?

Also I came to know about "Dotfuscator" which make little hard code to understand in DLL. Do anyone has better than this option ?

And my 3rd question is that i tried to open many DLL by reflector but while opening some DLL it gives errror that CLI header missing or something like that.

Can I make use of that trick to hide code of that DLL ?

Language : "(C#)"

Pls help me on this issue...
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:56 PM

Answers

• The ones that are reporting that the CLI header is missing are not written in a managed language (C#/VB.NET etc etc) but written in native code (C++,C+Delphi etc) reflector can only operate on byte code. Getting the original code back from native code is near impossible (there's tools that'll get you an impression of what the code is doing such as datarescue's hexrays but you'll never get compilable code as you would get from reflector) There's many products on the market to protect your C# code, Cshaptoolbox has a decent list browse around.
    • Marked as answer by Piyush Zarkar Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:02 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• The ones that are reporting that the CLI header is missing are not written in a managed language (C#/VB.NET etc etc) but written in native code (C++,C+Delphi etc) reflector can only operate on byte code. Getting the original code back from native code is near impossible (there's tools that'll get you an impression of what the code is doing such as datarescue's hexrays but you'll never get compilable code as you would get from reflector) There's many products on the market to protect your C# code, Cshaptoolbox has a decent list browse around.
    • Marked as answer by Piyush Zarkar Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:02 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:03 PM

• Thank you Ray M_ fr quick response ...
    I am thinking to use Dotfuscator tool given by microsoft. Is it reliable to use or will it protect my code. Also can you tell me about other ways to protecting that code? or hide that code ?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Follow the link i gave you it lists plenty of other products to protect your code.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:42 PM
  • THank you Ray ...

I checked that list of software . But is there any software which is free to use and reliable to hide code. also I read about "COM interp" i dont know exactly but it is related to vc++ ... write code in c++ ,make dll and call in c# ...  will it help me in my application ?

And i read about obfuscators  they made code complex but code can be reversed to normal code .

any more suggestions ?

Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Is there any person to help me on this issue ... ??? pls pls help me ...........
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Com interop is about exposing your code to native com clients or importing com clients into your managed aplication (depending on the direction you are going) and has nothing to do with code protection, Dotfuscator that ships with visual studio is OK nothing special to be honest, if you want something better like anything else in life you'll be paying for it, its just that simple. You are protecting your code which theoretically will increase sales so its perfectly justifyable to spend a little bit of money on that.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 2:41 PM