none
Silverlight woes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I still have the same issue on a new system with VS 2012 and LS that I had with the RC of LS: The Silverlight client keeps crashing. It is a nightmare that makes LS unusable on my system.

What did I do?

I installed Win8, VS 2012 and that's it.

What happens exactly is for me unreproducible. At some point when I click inside of my LS app I get the screen that "the Microsoft Out-of-Browser Launcher has stopped working" and that's it. This happens also in debugging mode. It is clearly a Silverlight issue.

How can I get Silverlight set up correctly so that it works with LS in harmony?

Regards

Holger

-- Holger Flick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Holger

If you are running the silverlight application within a virtual machine, then you can try this if you get really really desperate and need to get it working.

If you are running your silverlight application and the data provider in the web site or same process, try splitting them. Let me explain...

My application had 3 options, (1) DIRECT DATABASE CONNECTION (not applicable here), (2) WEB SERVICE or (3) HTTP aspx page.

Whenever I used options 2 and 3 but called the provider from within the same site, the application crashed soon. I noticed however that when I call the same (or different) web service hosted on another domain (cross-domains), then it doesn't crash.

My silverlight application relies heavily on threads running concurrently. I'm not sure if it has to do with the threads or why the w3w process and iexplore process don't work together well inside the VM.

I also got the "division by zero" error, but this was how I solved it. So, same code, same everything, except that the silverlight application and its hosted web site uses a different web site or web service as its data source (even if that data source web site was on the same virtual machine)

Does this make sense?

So S/L application running in http://localhost/app.aspx uses a WCF service running in https://itisqa-d1/folder1/service1.svc. And in this case the itisqa-d1 and localhost may or may not be the same machine, as long as they are running in seperate app domains or pools.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:27 AM

All replies

• Could you try uninstalling Microsoft Silverlight from Add/Remove Programs and then install the Developer Runtime and try again?

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Ok, I am on it. However, when I tried opening my LS project VS complained that I needed to install the Silverlight SDK as well. A link was given is the message which I used to download. Guess what, it was the version 4 SDK the link referred to. Now I have to look for SDK version 5 -- this is not straight forward...

-- Holger Flick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Sadly, it got worse :( Now it jumps into the crash right from the start ... Let me emphasize that this is a clean VM -- not a system that has seen a RC, VS 2010 or anything like that!

Edit:

I got a DEBUG!! It is a division by zero!

'vslshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.Transactions\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Transactions.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'SLLauncher.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.10411.0\en-US\System.Windows.debug.resources.dll'
    The thread '<No Name>' (0xc90) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    'SLLauncher.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Microsoft.GeneratedCode'
    'vslshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.Data.OracleClient\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.OracleClient.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'vslshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Data.Linq\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.Linq.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'vslshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.ServiceModel.Channels\v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.ServiceModel.Channels.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'SLLauncher.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Microsoft.GeneratedCode'
    The program '[1272] SLLauncher.exe: Silverlight' has exited with code -1073741676 (0xc0000094) 'Integer division by zero'.
    The program '[924] vslshost.exe: Managed (v4.0.30319)' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    VslsHost is using port 52297.

-- Holger Flick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:15 PM
  • You should have just uninstalled Microsoft Silverlight, not the related SDKs.

I cannot find the Silverlight 5 SDK for Visual Studio 2012. Not sure if it is publicly available yet. You may have to repair the Visual Studio installation to get the SDK back. Or, if you have the ISO image or DVD available, you may be able to reinstall the SDK from packages\Silverlight\5.0_SDK\silverlight_sdk.msi (I haven't tried this myself, but I would imagine it should work).

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Justin,

it was all available on the web. However, please have a look at the debug info I finally was able to get. It is a division by zero that makes the SL launcher crash...

-- Holger Flick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:20 PM
  • To me, it looks like a problem with the Silverlight sllauncher process.

Honestly, I've never seen this problem before. Anytime the Silverlight application causes an unrecoverable problem, the process just blanks out to white but doesn't crash the process. That's why I think it's a sllauncher problem.

Are you able to create a Silverlight Out of Browser application with some kind of simple content that does not crash? Something that does not involve LightSwitch?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Justin,

to be honest with you, I never touched SL before. LS has been my only motivation to even touch it. I have no idea if I could create a SL app with it. I simply do not know how to use it.

I reported this issue with the public beta 1 (of VS 2012) and the RC as I had other VMs that had exactly the same problem. As it was with different VMs and with different host PCs I was not able to filter out any particular reason. Sorry... For me this issue is basically a showstopper as I do not want to deploy my LS apps in a web browser but the sllauncher process is highly unstable.

Any idea how to "debug" it to give you a better error report?

Other people have the issue as well.... e.g. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitch/thread/35189176-1ef7-48e1-965b-cd1398b1b77f

-- Holger Flick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:30 PM
  • I found something on the web:

- it only happens inside a VM

- fix: set number of processors to 1

This is truly one more reason to ditch Silverlight as this issue seems to be around since the beginning of this year and there has been no fix... :( Truly, LS would be so much better without SL...

-- Holger Flick

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Sadly, the fix did NOT prove to work. I still get the "Integer division by zero" crash constantly. If you google the web, quite a lot of people are looking for a solution to solve this issue.

Not good as it makes LS rather hard to work with...

-- Holger Flick

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

It is an already known problem in Silverlight:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/721816/integer-divide-by-zero-exception-thrown-from-silverlight-5-application

Sorry for the inconvenient indeed. How about try not to develop the lightswitch in VM?

Friday, September 7, 2012 2:41 AM

• Sorry for the inconvenient indeed. How about try not to develop the lightswitch in VM?

Well, as soon as you deploy Visual Studio and the .NET Framework for MacOS I will gladly do so.

Joking aside, with all the different setups for different customers using VMs is the only approach that allows me to stay on track. I have a Windows system without a VM but all my mobile systems are Apple-based and thus need virtualization.

Furthermore, my customers also use VMs and it would not allow them to any LS apps right now. That is even worse and disqualifies the product from further deployment. I am REALLY saddened by this as LS is such a great product but SL seems to drag it down all the time...

-- Holger Flick

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi Holger,

It seems to a new HTML version of LightSwitch(but it is just a proview version) , I guess it could be used without any problem:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/vstudio/jj129570

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Sun,

also not an option as my customer base does not like the tile style that MS tries to force on its mobile and new Win8 platform. On the HTML-side I need some sort of iOS-theme that is also interpret correctly by the corresponding mobile devices. Furthermore, it is supposed to be a desktop app that can be installed on multiple clients and is not to require a web server.

-- Holger Flick

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Hi Holger

If you are running the silverlight application within a virtual machine, then you can try this if you get really really desperate and need to get it working.

If you are running your silverlight application and the data provider in the web site or same process, try splitting them. Let me explain...

My application had 3 options, (1) DIRECT DATABASE CONNECTION (not applicable here), (2) WEB SERVICE or (3) HTTP aspx page.

Whenever I used options 2 and 3 but called the provider from within the same site, the application crashed soon. I noticed however that when I call the same (or different) web service hosted on another domain (cross-domains), then it doesn't crash.

My silverlight application relies heavily on threads running concurrently. I'm not sure if it has to do with the threads or why the w3w process and iexplore process don't work together well inside the VM.

I also got the "division by zero" error, but this was how I solved it. So, same code, same everything, except that the silverlight application and its hosted web site uses a different web site or web service as its data source (even if that data source web site was on the same virtual machine)

Does this make sense?

So S/L application running in http://localhost/app.aspx uses a WCF service running in https://itisqa-d1/folder1/service1.svc. And in this case the itisqa-d1 and localhost may or may not be the same machine, as long as they are running in seperate app domains or pools.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:27 AM