Can't access Visual Studio Online after switching from Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise to Visual Studio 2015 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently switched from Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 to Visual Studio Professional and now most operations against a Visual Studio Online project are failing. I can make the team connection and browse all the files, but I can't do much else. For example, if I try to check out a file I get:

--------------------------- Microsoft Visual Studio --------------------------- Source Control Explorer TF204017: The operation cannot be completed because the user (Greg Enslow) does not have

one or more required permissions (Use) for workspace MYMACHINE;Greg Enslow. --------------------------- OK ---------------------------

Or in Team Explorer if I click "My Work" I get the following exception:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.CompositionFailedException: An exception was thrown while initializing part "Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.MyWork.MyWorkModelVS". ---> Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.ImportWorkitemTypeException: TF201072: A user or group could not be found. Verify that the users and groups used in your work item type definition have been added to Team Foundation Server. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: TF201072: A user or group could not be found. Verify that the users and groups used in your work item type definition have been added to Team Foundation Server. at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy.RetryHandler.HandleSoapException(SoapException se) at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy.WorkItemServer.GetMetadataEx2(String requestId, Boolean useMaster, MetadataTableHaveEntry[] metadataHave, String& dbStamp, IMetadataRowSets& metadata, Int32& locale, Int32& comparisonStyle, Int32& displayMode) at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemStore.RefreshCacheInternal(BackendCallData& data) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

<stack trace goes on for several pages>

This is a Windows 10 machine and I'm a full admin. It is not domain joined.

Things I've tried:

1. Signing out and then back in to Visual Studio
    2. Deleting all the cached credentials in Control Panel/ Credential Manager
    3. Re-installing Visual Studio
    4. Resetting my workspace with tf.exe workspaces /remove:* , and then recreating the local workspace.

I don't believe it's an issue with server permission because I can access the project just fine from another machine, plus I'm a full admin for this project.

I would greatly appreciate additional troubleshooting advice or solution.

Thanks,

Greg Enslow

Greg Enslow, Enslow Solutions

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:11 PM

All replies

• I am getting the same error. I reinstalled the OS (Windows 10), and Visual Studio 2015 two days ago. Before that, I had no problems, now TF204017.
    Friday, October 16, 2015 10:23 PM
  • Here's some additional information. Using Fiddler I can see many failed web service requests. Here's the SOAP response:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <soap:Body>
        <soap:Fault>
          <soap:Code>
            <soap:Value>soap:Sender</soap:Value>
            <soap:Subcode>
              <soap:Value xmlns:q0="http://schemas.microsoft.com/TeamFoundation/2005/06/WorkItemTracking/faultcodes/03">q0:Application</soap:Value>
            </soap:Subcode>
          </soap:Code>
          <soap:Reason>
            <soap:Text xml:lang="en">TF201072: A user or group could not be found. Verify that the users and groups used in your work item type definition have been added to Team Foundation Server.</soap:Text>
          </soap:Reason>
          <soap:Node>/DefaultCollection/WorkItemTracking/v8.0/ClientService.asmx</soap:Node>
          <detail ExceptionMessage="TF201072: A user or group could not be found. Verify that the users and groups used in your work item type definition have been added to Team Foundation Server." BaseExceptionName="Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Server.ValidationException">
            <details id="600047" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/TeamFoundation/2005/06/WorkItemTracking/faultdetail/03" />
          </detail>
        </soap:Fault>
      </soap:Body>
    </soap:Envelope>

Greg Enslow

Friday, October 16, 2015 10:54 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem, the only strange thing I did in this pc is changing the machine name, do you guys did something similar? Just to understand if there's something related to this name change

Michael Denny
    Microsoft MVP - Visual C#
    About Me

Sunday, October 25, 2015 2:14 PM
  • Reinstall, but same machine name.

VSO was updated around this time to incorporate the use of a Azure AD. Since the problem seems to be related to authentication, that might be related.

I have since recreated a new VSO site as a replacement, and that doe snot have the same problems.

Sunday, October 25, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Need to ask Buck Hodges then :) I will do, thanks for reporting this.

Michael Denny
    About Me

Sunday, October 25, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Nope, sorry. All I did was remove, then reinstall Visual Studio.

Greg Enslow

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:31 PM
  • I'm in contact with the VSO team and as soon as we find the problem I will let you know

Michael Denny
    About Me

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:59 AM
  • Thanks Michael, much appreciated. No urgency, though. I couldn't continue being unproductive on this machine. I went with the nuclear option and wiped the machine then reinstalled VS. I'm all good now.

On the plus side, I got to try out the new Windows 10 "Reset this PC" feature. :)

Greg Enslow

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:37 PM
  • So the nuclear option worked for you? for me no, I created several virtual machine, but from a template that probably has that problem, and I found steps to reproduce and to work around the problem as follow.

To work-around the problem:

1. Sign out from visual studio unified login 
    2. Open team explorer and remove all previous TFS connection 
    3. Close and reopen visual studio 2015
    4. DO NOT LOGIN WITH VISUAL STUDIO
    5. Open team explorer and add a connection from "Manage Connections" -> "Connect to Team Foundation Server" 
    6. LOGIN SHOULD APPEAR, so login
    7. Go to team explorer "Home" and open "My Work"
    8. Now it works! 
    9. Now you can also sign in in the visual studio unified login and everything still work

At least now I know a work-around for new environment: DO NOT LOGIN IN VISUAL STUDIO, FIRST LOGIN IN TEAM EXPLORER.

To reproduce the problem:

1. Clean the environment, so sign out from visual studio unified login 
    2. Open team explorer and remove all previous TFS connection 
    3. Close and reopen visual studio 2015
    4. Sign in from the visual studio unified login
    5. Open team explorer and add the connection to VSO 
    6. From team explorer "Home", select "My Work"
    7. Exception is thrown 

This is the only way that worked for me.

Michael Denny
    About Me

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Thanks Michael.

After nuking the machine and reinstalling VS, I too did not login to Visual Studio. I did the TFS connection and login first. Then my Azure connection and then lastly, the Visual Studio login. I was being paranoid so I did things in this specific order. Looks like this may be key.

I understand why VS has logins for different components but man, what a PITA. I hope they get this working better.

Greg Enslow

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:40 PM
  • That's a great feedback Greg, I'm writing to MS as I'm writing to you :)

Thank you!

Michael Denny
    About Me

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:54 PM
  • One last observation to pass on to MS. When I was in the bad state, Visual Studio was not picking up my license. On the account settings page, it showed trial rather than licensed. Clicking "Check for an updated license" would run without error but it would remain set to trial.

I'm sure this must be related.

Greg Enslow

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:19 PM
  • feedback sent, thanks again Greg.

Michael Denny
    About Me

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:50 PM
  • This actually worked. I have no idea what's going on, but at least I can get back to coding again.

Thanks!

Dennis Vroegop deStrato Microsoft MVP Hardware Interaction Design and Development Please mark an answer as &amp;quot;answered&amp;quot; if it does help you!

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:54 PM
  • Glad the work around worked for you as well Dennis.

Microsoft team is actively on this, and they will update us as soon as they get to a point.

Michael Denny
    About Me

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:26 PM
  • Thanks for finding this. Got everything working again.

Monday, November 30, 2015 9:45 AM
  • For that u need to reinstall whole OS.

That must be one of the huge BUGS.

Why we dont have some easy solution here, i cant affort self to reinstall OS.

Friday, July 1, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Is there any solution so far, easier then formating pc ?
    Friday, July 1, 2016 6:33 AM
  • I think starting from vs2015 update 2 (now also update 3 has been released), this problem has been fixed, I correctly login on visual studio, and team explorer work as expected.

Michael Denny
    Microsoft MVP .NET
    About Me

Friday, July 1, 2016 9:38 AM