How to start video game programming in c#? RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if i'm posting this question in the right place so sorry if i am.

anyways i study c# at high school and i just finished studying all the basics in the visual studio 2010 express.

if's,loops,methods,arrays,classes,strings, and some more small stuff.

i want to know if i can begin to study video games in c# with my amount of knowledge in c#.

i tried to start with xna game studio but the only thing i was doing is copy pasting and not actually understanding what i'm doing so i gave up,kinda.

i want to know if i can start taking tutorials for video game programming in c# or if i still need to know some more stuff in c# first before i begin video game programming.

if i can already start video game programming then tell me where i should start because the xna tutorials didn't really help me.

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

a good starting point is http://www.xnadevelopment.com/tutorials.shtml

It's normal that you don't understand most things if you start with a new technology. You should avoid just copy and paste code snippets if you follow a tutorial. If you have a problem, which can't be solved with the tutorial, you should start to search for it on the web (or ask questions about problems you're facing in the appropriate forum). With that you gain a deeper knowledge on what exactly you're doing. It's hard to find a tutorial (independet from the technology you're using) which gives you all points on a technology, especially with XNA.

If you want to have a good starter book I would recommend Learning XNA 4.0 to you.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Marked as answer by Yuval Gliz Monday, February 27, 2012 7:46 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 4:33 PM

All replies

• I am not sure if i'm posting this question in the right place so sorry if i am.

anyways i study c# at high school and i just finished studying all the basics.

if's,loops,methods,arrays,classes,strings, and some more small stuff.

i want to know if i can begin to study video games in c# with my amount of knowledge in c#.

i tried to start with xna game studio but the only thing i was doing is copy pasting and not actually understanding what i'm doing so i gave up,kinda.

i want to know if i can start taking tutorials for video game programming in c# or if i still need to know some more stuff in c# first before i begin video game programming.

if i can already start video game programming then tell me where i should start because the xna tutorials didn't really help me.

• Merged by CoolDadTx Monday, February 27, 2012 2:43 PM Duplicate
    Monday, February 27, 2012 12:20 PM
  • The better way to start learn how a game works, is with XNA, but i guess you knowledge(supossed is that you say above) is to limited for that, i think you should search some tutorials, forums on internet for see how this works.

norkk~

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Hi Yuval,

can you tell us what problem you have with XNA Tutorials? Which Tutorials did you try and what problems did you run into?

I think the XNA tutorials are the correct way to start it but if you encounter any problems, you should try to solve these issues. Maybe you find out that you miss something which you can learn first then.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

a good starting point is http://www.xnadevelopment.com/tutorials.shtml

It's normal that you don't understand most things if you start with a new technology. You should avoid just copy and paste code snippets if you follow a tutorial. If you have a problem, which can't be solved with the tutorial, you should start to search for it on the web (or ask questions about problems you're facing in the appropriate forum). With that you gain a deeper knowledge on what exactly you're doing. It's hard to find a tutorial (independet from the technology you're using) which gives you all points on a technology, especially with XNA.

If you want to have a good starter book I would recommend Learning XNA 4.0 to you.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Marked as answer by Yuval Gliz Monday, February 27, 2012 7:46 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 4:33 PM
  • if i but the book u reccommend do i need visual studio professional for it or can i use visual studio express for it
    Monday, February 27, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Im think that you can use the express for it, but for what obscure reason, dont you install the professional?

even more if you a student, cuz microsoft give a license for a 60 days for free, and if it expire, you can make a new key.

~~

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:56 PM
  • The author says that you can use it with the free XNA Game Studio version, but he's using the Professional edition. The edition you're using makes no difference for the coding, but the development process is more easier with the Professional version.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:06 PM