none
Installing Visual Studio on a flash drive or in the cloud RRS feed

• Question

• I run several programs on my laptop including Visual Studio, Eclipse, Xampp, Node, cygwin. I am allowed to study programs while at work, but I do not have admin rights. I have seen suggestions on stackoverflow to put programs on a flash drive and run them from your flash drive. However, some of the programs such as node for example, require a command line interface. 

In addition, I have tried to download the jdk 9 without admin rights but ran into problems with jre version 9.

Is it possible to mirror my laptop environment on a flash drive? If so, what is the procedure to do this?  Is there a cloud solution to this problem that does not involve spending a  lot of money? 

I am trying to do my studies without interfering with the sys admin's work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi cyunpingco,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>Is it possible to mirror my laptop environment on a flash drive?

Currently I would suggest you not try with this, because your laptop system environment includes a lot of components and files. If you choose a flash drive, Visual Studio requires space on the System drive , because it needs to install system components.

Shared runtimes like the .NET Framework (and Visual Studio includes several targeting packs, so essentially separate versions of the framework). There are also several packages that are shared between Visual Studio, SQL Server, Office, IIS, and the Windows SDK. Those go on the System Drive in a predetermined location. The bulk is probably the Windows Installer and package caches, which are installed to a specific package folder.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Ok. Thanks. I won't try this. 
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

If you think my reply is helpful to you , you could mark my reply as answer. It would be easier for other members who encounter similar question as yours.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 6:09 AM