none
Error 1305 RRS feed

• Question

• While installing VS Professional Edition 2005. I am encountering Error:1305, cannot read from the file " file path" make sure files exists and have a access to it..

can you please suggest what is the cause of this error.

Thanks

Ravi Thapliyal

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:40 PM

Answers

• Do you have a virus scanner installed?

Some scanners are overly agressive and lock the file when setup is trying to access it.

You can try to unplug your network cable, turn off your virus scanner (don't just disable it but stop it from running), and then launch setup again.

Norton and Kaspersky are common ones that cause this issue.

Another thing to try is to copy the layout onto your hard drive and install from there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:09 PM

All replies

• Do you have a virus scanner installed?

Some scanners are overly agressive and lock the file when setup is trying to access it.

You can try to unplug your network cable, turn off your virus scanner (don't just disable it but stop it from running), and then launch setup again.

Norton and Kaspersky are common ones that cause this issue.

Another thing to try is to copy the layout onto your hard drive and install from there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:09 PM
  • Well I try what is being suggested, disconnect my network cable, remove/disable my anti-virus and I still get the following error if I try to install everything (CD 1) on my machine:

Error 1305.Error reading from file: Z:\Program Files\MSDN\MSDN8.0\sql2005\1033\sql2005flinks.hxk. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

The file exist so I try to copy the CD into my HD and got an error for that particular file mention on the error cannot be copied. 

Error Copying File or Folder – Cannot copy sql2005flinks.hxk: Invalid MS_DOS function.

So I could not install everything but if I remove the following item, the setup install everything else.

Enterprise Server and Development – Microsoft SQL Server.

I guess the file is for SQL 2005, which happens to be the one we use on my company. Does anyone had have luck installing it?

Thanks ...

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 2:28 PM
  •  

I had trouble a while back installing an older SQL Server version on a then new laptop.  It would give some type of file access message, I can't remember if it was similar to yours or not.  Regardless we discovered that because file sharing was not yet enable on the laptop we could not get the SQL server set up.  - It may be useless info, it might help.

Good luck!

Friday, August 18, 2006 5:35 PM
  • It is sounding as though you may have a bad file on the media.  Here's something that should help us determine the problem:

Can you go to another machine, load the CD, and see if you can just copy the file in question to your hard drive?  Please be sure no virus scanners are running, same test as before.

Thanks-

• Unmarked as answer by Ravi Thapliyal Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:44 PM
  • invalid MSDOS function sounds like a corrupted media file to me although I would have also suggested TimLa's response
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:33 PM
  • hi sir when i install vs.net msdn then it perform error1305
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:10 PM