none
Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install .net framework 2.0 on Windows XP OS.

I get the following error

" Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim().

how do i solve this?

Sunday, December 18, 2005 11:59 PM

Answers

• Try these steps:

1. Do you have the COMPLUS_VERSION environment variable set?  If you do, remove it from your environment variable and try to install the framework.

2. Rename mscoree.dll in %windir%\system32 and try to install the framework

3. Look in your registry.  If you had a previous version of the framework installed (beta 1, beta 2, etc), see if this key exists:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v2.0

Name: 50727

Data: 50727-50727

If you don't have that key, delete the keys that are there and try to install the framework.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:20 AM

All replies

• I have the same error installing on Windows XP (home) and Windows Vista (beta 1)  This renders the MSDN Professional that I bought USELESS.
    Friday, January 06, 2006 8:31 PM
  • Try these steps:

1. Do you have the COMPLUS_VERSION environment variable set?  If you do, remove it from your environment variable and try to install the framework.

2. Rename mscoree.dll in %windir%\system32 and try to install the framework

3. Look in your registry.  If you had a previous version of the framework installed (beta 1, beta 2, etc), see if this key exists:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v2.0

Name: 50727

Data: 50727-50727

If you don't have that key, delete the keys that are there and try to install the framework.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:20 AM
  • Where do I change the complus variable?
    Thursday, September 07, 2006 7:59 PM
  • none of these solutions worked
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:53 PM
  • Hi!

Folder "c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.363_x-ww_691a48fd" was missing on my machine. I tried to copy content of another VS80 CRT folder as this one and voila!

I hope this could help you a bit, Peter

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 9:33 PM
  • Hello,

I had to remove/rename all  "VC80" Dlls, afterwards the installation works.

Cheers!
    Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:07 AM
  • Hi wommat,

what do u mean with all VC80 dlls?Dlls starting with that name?

All is started when i tried to install the SP1 of vs2005 and i've had an error during it. Since then, even if i remove everything, i can't install anymore .net framwork 2.0 and i have always the error in the subject :(

Anybody can help me?

rgds

Simon

Monday, December 18, 2006 3:40 PM
  • I experienced exactly the same problem and solved it by deleting the policies folder under %windir%\WinSxS

Hope it helps.

FJ

• Proposed as answer by sandip_w Friday, March 06, 2009 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:50 PM
  • Thank you! Thank you!

Deleting the policies folder worked for me. VS 2005 and .NET 2.0 was completely dead on my machine after attempting to apply SP1 :(

Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:03 AM
  • It worled for me too. Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 3:07 PM
  • Filipe Janela,

You deserve the credit...I've lost countless hours trying to avoid reinstalling SO, finally I reached your page and voila!! VS2005 is installing again.

Thanks again

Arvychile
    Tuesday, January 16, 2007 7:58 PM
  • YES !  This works also for me.

I was also trying to install VS2005 SP1 on my machine and than I wasl unable to install FW 2.0 or VS2005 - always getting error 25007 wheni installing FW 2.0.

Delete the \WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies   that is all !!!

So many thanks to Filipe Janela...

Vojta
    • Proposed as answer by Tangfishfry Monday, October 27, 2008 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:00 AM
  • Thank you! This solution worked for me too!!!

Best regards,

Jure

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 1:11 PM
  • Many thanks Filipe...

My problems started when Windows Update pushed the VS2005 SP1 update to me.

I applied the automated update a few times, each time failed. Eventually, I could no longer start Visual Studio or any .Net 2.0 app, and doing a Repair on VS2005 and .Net 2.0 Framework installation both failed.

Found out too late that SP1 requires 6.2 GB of free diskspace (I only had 2 GB free -- thought this would have been plenty of room).

Thanks again for the help,

jason

Thursday, February 08, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Again, many thanks for your solution :)
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Thanks!  Bloody SP1 causing all this hassle.  I was so glad to see this simple solution.... even glader when it actually worked on my machine.  :)

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Thanks.

Great help !!!!

Monday, March 05, 2007 12:45 PM
  • we should redirect here all guys who had problems installing/reinstalling VS2005
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:18 PM
  • Anyway it's enough to delete all directories and subdirectories from Windows\WinSxS that contain VC80 in the name somewhere

that worked for me an I was able to reinstall .Net framework and VS2005
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Seems that I've done anything suggested at this thread and finaly it worked!!! thank you all!!!!

i've messing with this about a day, already screwed up my windows !

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Thank you, it also fixed my problem!!!
    Friday, March 16, 2007 1:17 AM
  • Thank you!

It helped me to have tomorrow's Sunday off of work.

Regards,

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:34 AM
  • thanks Filipe Janela, deleting the policies folder is the only thing that worked for me.

your solution should be the highlighted one!!

stupid botched SP1 installer Sad
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Saved my life!! Thanks so much!
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Thank's a lot¡¡¡ It works for me
    Monday, April 23, 2007 11:41 PM
  • I also got the 25007 error while trying to install the .NET Framework 2.0 redistributable .  Deleting the Policies folder worked for me too. Thanks for your help!!

Sunday, April 29, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Thank very much from Italy

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 11:09 AM
  • Thank you very much.. It was a great help. I was struggling from last 3/4 days was not able to install vs2005. Installed vs for 3/4 times. Uninstaled every thing.. Finally it worked , Thank you very much..
    Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:37 AM
  • All,

I Found the solution here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2007/02/05/visual-studio-2005-service-pack-1-rollback-breaks-some-applications.aspx

Seems that Windows File Protection is working too good.

Step1: Disable WFP

Step2: Rename %windir%\SXS\<folder_in_article>

Good Luck!

• Proposed as answer by WagenS Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:19 PM
  • I got this error after installing Office Enterprise 2007. My pc refused to load any office 2007 application. The underlying problem was that the .net 2.0 framework was not installed and it refused to do so.
    I got an (initialize) error when trying to load the office application.

After all deleting the \WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies folder made me able to install .net 2.0.

Now everything works fine.

Thanx alot!
    Monday, June 18, 2007 7:54 AM
  • Filipe

May your days on this planet be prolonged and blessed - YOU HAVE SAVED MY ***!!!!
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:31 AM
  • Worked for me as well, Thanks Felipe!
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:26 PM
  • This is great. After hours, finaly THE SOLUTION; Great Guys out there.

Thanks a lot.

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Hi Felipe!

You are great! After more than one (I repeat: ONE) day of endless trying other solutions from the Microsoft help desk... finally the problem solution! Indeed this worked fine with my problem also!!

Thank you dude!

How did you come to this great idea of deleting the Policies folder?

Greets!

Stefan

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:07 PM
  • Erasing policies also fixed this problem for me, after trying the previous suggestions. Thanks for the help!
    Monday, August 13, 2007 7:40 PM
  •  

Fixed it!  Renamed folder specified by previous poster except that my folder didn't have the exact same name... mostly the same (c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b****)

Steps:

(1) rename folder

(2) rerun framework 2.0 installer

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Deleting the policies folder left my XP Pro system in a complete state of nonsense.  A new application error from Explorer.exe appeared that left the user's window blank. (Error Application failed to initialize properly 0xc0150002).

Do not attempt this deletion without first having saved the policies folder to a device that you can read after re-booting using Safe-Mode command line as the administrator (so you can re-copy these files back to where they were to recover at least back to where you were before). 

After the upgrade failed, my system was in a state of disarray.  While I deleted and re-installed the .net applications, I couldn't do that without restoring the policies to a prior working state.  My system upgrade failed due to lack of space on the drive -- I read somewhere that you need 6.1 GB available -- can't say that is absolutely a correct number, but after re-sizing the partitions, the SP1 upgrade did install properly and seemed to use about 3 GB of space.

So, my experience is simply have a full image back-up before you begin the SP1 upgrade (it should have checked for available space really early in the install and aborted itself, but unfortunately, it doesn't do that), then tread with caution.

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

I have installed the VSTS2005 in my machine successfully. After that I tried to install the service pack for the Windows 2003 Server. I was not able to complete this. Due to space availability in C: drive. So I have uninstall everything related to VSTS2005 from C: drive. And tried to install in F: drive. But unfortunately, it is getting failed in .Net framework level itself. Then I tried the .Net framework distributable package(X86) individually. While installing this i got the following message

"Error 25007. Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: The handle is invalid."

Since this installation was very emergency for me. Last 2 days i am searching for the solution. I am not able to get it. So please anyone those who got the solution for this please...write to me. It is a greatful for me if you provide me the solution as soon as possible.

Mail:hai_sri@yahoo.com mob: +91 9880370009 (anytime)

Regards

Sridhar

Monday, September 24, 2007 12:00 PM
  • just tell me where to go, and what to download...I do not/can not understand all that techno mumbo jumbo.

I need actual help.

Monday, October 08, 2007 11:30 PM
  • You guyes rock!!!! I had an Outlook2007 problem, and had to uninstall office enterprise2007, and it wouldn't reinstall! :-(

After reading this article and moving the Policies folder under C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\ it worked and i back up and running Yay

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Unfortunately none of the fixes mentioned here have worked for me.

I find it disturbing that this has been a known issue since December 2005 yet the solution posted on the official MS website is out of date - it does not function and simply generates the message "please run installer.exe".

The error log for the failed install refers to DRM, is that why they won't provide a proper solution?

Deleting the policies folder does not work as windows file protection kicks in and replaces it, disabling WFP via the registry temporarily and deleting the policies folder simply made the PC unbootable until the it was restored to last known good configuration. 

My next step is to completely rebuild the PC but seriously why isn't there a proper solution for a known issue affecting so many people for so long?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Thanks for this info. I know less than nothing about this stuff and was able to repair my .net and get my Adobe program up and running.

Thanks Again

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:47 PM
  • ---------------------------
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Setup
    ---------------------------
    Error 25007.Error occurred while initializing fusion. Setup could not load fusion with LoadLibraryShim(). Error: 0x80131700

This is the error message I got. I tried most of the other suggustions in this thread. For me they didn't work. This is where I finally got the answer.

How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation issues

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/en-us?spid=8291&sid=global

Saturday, November 17, 2007 8:47 PM
  • I get an error called 25015. I deleted that one folder (Policies) but how do I install it b/c its not working help
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:19 PM
  • thanks, deleting the policies folder worked for me also

Monday, December 24, 2007 11:28 AM
  •  

Manually getting rid of an old install

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/en-us?spid=8291&sid=global

as posted by ThatBytes worked for me.

Monday, January 07, 2008 7:11 PM
  • ok i really need help please reply to me at Edward4eva@hotmail.com ty. heres the problem i deleted the policies thing but after i redownload framework 2 policies comes back into the folder and i'm like wtf i keep deleting but it keeps coming back...please help ty=p
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:49 AM
  • error 25007 during installation of Turbotax CD.  Please help

Saturday, January 26, 2008 5:19 PM
  • I have ordered a new CD from turbotax because the technician with turbotax tried to help me with this error and said I might have a corrup CD, but the error shows up again with the new CD download.  Pleasae help me solve this problem so I can do my taxes for 2007.  Thank you.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Hi - this repsonse looks very helpful in fixing my problem but I have absolutely no idea about how to go about doing it - it looks like a foreign language to me - is there a way you can tell me what to do in plainspeak English...thanks

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:30 PM
  •  

Thanks a ton..  Its working for me also !!!!!
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:47 PM
  • This also worked for me.

Thank you !!!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:00 PM
  • great advice thanks worked a treat, dont forget winsxs is a hidden folder, under tool folder options view hidden folders

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Hey Peter:

Terrific!

I did 2 things: Renaming mscoree.dll and creating the folder under WinSxS as you had recommended. I also set up a folder under policies that I named x86_policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_77c24773.Same as your recommendation, I copied the contents of another VC80CRT policy folder to this one.The installation worked. Oddly enough, the replaced mscoree.dll file is older. The one that I renamed had 271,360 bytes and a date of 4/13/2007. This was replaced by a file of 270,848 bytes and a date of 9/23/2005.

Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:55 AM
  • I'try to install UGRIB.US and it need Framework 2.0, I tried install, uninstall, commandline instructions, deleting Policies,

all suggestions from Microsoft, copying from a computer wich worked with UGRIB, I still don't succeed in installing FRAMEWORK 2.0.

I'm really desperate. It takes me in the meantime 2days and a night . . .

Please who helps me . . .

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I had the same error with a client, we had to use the custom .Net 2.0 uninstaller after the recent Auto-update our .Net 2.0 was totally destroyed & would not uninstall.

After using the uninstaller, when it says you need to reboot ... do it. That's all it took for me & it worked.

Note: When using the dotnetfxcleanuptool.zip .. be sure to select ONLY .Net 2.0 or it will remove ALL your .NET

This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework.  So if you use it, be prepared to repair or reinstall any other versions of the .NET Framework that are on your computer to get them to work correctly afterwards

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Extract the zip & be sure to select .Net 2.0 from the dropdown, or you will need to re-install any other versions of .Net you may require.

Then re-install using dotnetfx.exe:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Wutzke Friday, May 14, 2010 6:49 AM
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Thanks Filipe, your solution of deleting the Policies folder worked for me.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:15 PM
  • "I experienced exactly the same problem and solved it by deleting the policies folder under %windir%\WinSxS"

Hope it helps.

FJ

Thanx that tip worked really well
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:07 PM
  • i try to delete the policies folder but it just reappears... what do I do?????
    Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:46 PM
  •  http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/net-framework-2-cant-be-installed/156093.html 

I had this problem and read many suggestions on how to fix it. After going to the above link, i ran the cleanup tool as advised, and then tried reinstalling the .net framework 2.0 and it installed with no problems at all. I didnt have to do a bunch of manual edits to the registry and files, this pretty much did it all for me. I was a lil bit skeptical at first , but i figured its worth a try and i couldnt be happier with the results. I hope this will help some one, i found the page just googling for a fix for this problem. and it was on like the second page of results.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:34 PM
  • thnx Filipe Janela. the solution did work for me .. did delete all the policies related to VC ..
    Friday, March 06, 2009 3:32 PM
  • thks! i had done everythings, but this tip was the solution, thks again.-
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:52 PM
  • This worked great!! my Wife spent two days on the phone trying to get this problem fixed and you had a ten second answer!! Thanks.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:37 AM
  • wher is the complus_version located plz help.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:09 PM
  • where is the environment variable located so that i may remove it plz help.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Deleting the Policies didn't work for me. However running the dotnetfx_setup_tool did. Run it and select the .net framework version you want to uninstall, and then reinstall it!
    http://www.windowsuu.com/tag/remove-net-framework-tool-dotnetfx_cleanup_tool/
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Thanks a lot. Your post helped a lot. After I deleted environment variable COMPLUS_VERSION and running the following cleanup tool (http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx), I could reinstall .net framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. Many thanks again. 

• Proposed as answer by VinayP Monday, January 18, 2010 10:34 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:33 PM
  • I just renamed the policies foilder...worked like a charm...thank you guys!!!
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:10 AM
  • Hi thank you for publishing this post. The link to Heath Stewarts blog allowed me to understand the background to the issue and reinstalling VC2005 Sp1 redistributable package fixed the problem for me.

Thanks so much

Regards

Simon

iThink SharePoint

iThink SharePoint (http://ithinksharepoint.blogspot.com)
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:07 PM
  • thank, 

it s works for me

Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:46 PM
  • It solved. works too me.

Steps:

(1) rename folder: (c:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3bxxxx -> hogehoge)

(2) rerun framework 2.0 installer

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:27 AM
  • I had the same error with a client, we had to use the custom .Net 2.0 uninstaller after the recent Auto-update our .Net 2.0 was totally destroyed & would not uninstall.

After using the uninstaller, when it says you need to reboot ... do it. That's all it took for me & it worked.

Note: When using the dotnetfxcleanuptool.zip .. be sure to select ONLY .Net 2.0 or it will remove ALL your .NET

Use the program here:

http://www.tvdrawing.com

This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework.  So if you use it, be prepared to repair or reinstall any other versions of the .NET Framework that are on your computer to get them to work correctly afterwards

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Extract the zip & be sure to select .Net 2.0 from the dropdown, or you will need to re-install any other versions of .Net you may require.

Then re-install using dotnetfx.exe:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by rzand Friday, December 03, 2010 9:47 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Thank you sooo much, I have been dealing with this prob for a month or more, have tried numerous attemps, but finally I am back up and running and installing normal..Thank you
    • Proposed as answer by Sharon.Wutzke Friday, May 14, 2010 6:49 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Please ignore my above proposed answer

I have unsuccessfully tried the above solutions and found the right solution at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smondal/archive/2010/07/12/quot-25007-error-occurred-while-initializing-fusion-setup-could-not-load-fusion-with-loadlibraryshim-error-the-handle-is-invalid-quot.aspx

After using the below script:

cd %SYSTEMROOT%\WinSXS
    for /D %%i in (*vc80*) do rd %%i /s /q
    del manifests\*vc80* /q
    cd policies
    for /D %%i in (*vc80*) do del %%i\* /q

I was able to install the framework.net and reinstall my application.

Friday, December 03, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Please try the below solution: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smondal/archive/2010/07/12/quot-25007-error-occurred-while-initializing-fusion-setup-could-not-load-fusion-with-loadlibraryshim-error-the-handle-is-invalid-quot.aspx
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

Please ignore my above proposed answer

I have unsuccessfully tried the above solutions and found the right solution at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smondal/archive/2010/07/12/quot-25007-error-occurred-while-initializing-fusion-setup-could-not-load-fusion-with-loadlibraryshim-error-the-handle-is-invalid-quot.aspx

After using the below script:

cd %SYSTEMROOT%\WinSXS
    for /D %%i in (*vc80*) do rd %%i /s /q
    del manifests\*vc80* /q
    cd policies
    for /D %%i in (*vc80*) do del %%i\* /q

I was able to install the framework.net and reinstall my application.

I need a more step by step for this will you help? I just dont know where to start to use something like this.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Do you know what do do now cause the same thing happens to me
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:53 AM
  • How do you know if you have the Complus_version
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Thanks a lot for this info!

I was attempting install office but a problem with the Frameworks does not allow install it. doing this trip.. voila!.. many hours spent!!!

Thank you again.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:10 PM
  • What a marvelous solution!!

I'm working for 2 days to install Office2007 and tried a lot of things.

All started from an automatic update of WinXP. The express update on .net2 failed.

From that moment Office2003 was not working well anymore.

So I tried installing office2007 but got an 2908 error.

On some websites I saw you had to uninstall and reinstall .net

But the reinstall did not work and I got erro 25007;

But here I found a simple fast solution!!! Just remande the policies folder to policies.old and installed .net

Now I hope installation of Office2007 will also work......

Saturday, June 18, 2011 6:55 PM
  • In my case, on a Server 2003 SBS machine, I had to uninstall both IIS and .NET 2.0 and attempt to reinstall them both. When reinstalling 2.0 however, I got this error and tried many of the solutions here. None worked. At the suggestion of a co-worker, I actually ended up following the steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/ to remove various pieces of the .NET installation, as well as using the .NET Cleanup Utility to remove everything 2.0 and higher, including 3, 3.5, and 4. After restarting the machine I installed IIS, then .NET 2.0. The install completed successfully and after reinstalling 3.5 and 4.0 along with our company's software that uses .NET, I was able to run normally again.

The major note to take into consideration is systems with .NET 4.0 installed have newer mscoree.dll libraries and other files, so we found that rather than replacing just 2.0, we had to wipe everything above 2.0 and then reinstall from 2.0 onwards. You also want to be careful what SxS folder you move/delete, because I had to reinstall SQL Server 2005 also because the instance would not start due to meddling with those folders. Backing up those folders should be done if you're going to meddle with them.

Hope that helps some folks.

• Proposed as answer by Umar Afzaal Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:39 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Umar Afzaal Sunday, March 18, 2012 4:39 PM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Rename mscoree.dll in %windir%\system32 and try to install the framework

It will Works

Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:29 AM