Visual Studio 2013 crashes on startup RRS feed

• Question

• I can no longer start Visual Studio 2013. Attempting to do so yields a crash with the following in the event log:

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Helvetica; min-height: 11.0px} </style>

Application: devenv.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException

at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[], Boolean)

at System.IO.MemoryStream..ctor(Byte[])

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.Utilities.BitmapFromPngOrJpeg(Byte[], Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.Logger)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.AvatarCache+<>c__DisplayClass2.<.ctor>b__0()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.InvokableFunction`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InvokeMethod()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.InvokableBase.Invoke()

Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.ThreadHelper.InvokeOnUIThread(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.InvokableBase)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.ThreadHelper.Invoke[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Func`1<System.__Canon>)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.AvatarCache..ctor(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Profile.AvatarSize, Byte[], Boolean, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.Logger)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.ProfileCache..ctor(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Profile.Profile, System.Guid, System.Uri, System.String, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.Logger)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.IdeConnector+<ConnectAsync>d__1.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.IdeUserSession+<ConnectAndInitializeSessionAsync>d__a.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.BaseUserSession+<ConnectAsyncImpl>d__15.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.BaseUserSession+<ConnectAsync>d__2.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.BaseUserSession+<PollConnectAsync>d__1e.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Connected.ConnectedUser.Poller+<PollAsync>d__3.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_1(System.Object)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()

at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Helvetica; min-height: 11.0px} </style>

Jules Winfield

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 3:41 PM

Answers

• Install Update 5 for Visual Studio 2013

Link:

https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=Visual%20Studio%202013%20Update%205

If you cannot download the web installer

1. Reset your settings using devenv /resetuserdata to fix the crash
    2. Open Visual Studio
    3. Use an MSDN product key to activate your Visual Studio
    4. Tools -> Extensions and Updates
    5. Select tab Updates
    6. Install Update 5 
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:44 PM

All replies

• I have same issue.
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:00 PM
  • I am in the same boat.  Using Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio Online.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Same problem here..

I have a workaround:

- Disable your network adapter and start Visual Studio

- Re-Enable your network adapter.

Looks like they changed something about the profile image of the connectedUser..

• Proposed as answer by Negro14 Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:41 PM
  • For those that have not seen it yet, running the switch /resetuserdata will allow you to open Visual Studio. Keep in mind however that this will reset your license and any other "user data" associated with your login. You will also still not be able to "Sign In" through Visual Studio as doing so locks up or potentially causes the same crash. You can, however, connect to Team Foundation which will allow you access to Source Control Explorer. Hoping that Microsoft finds the issue soon as it's quite bothersome.
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Same problem for me.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 5:59 PM
  • For those that have not seen it yet, running the switch /resetuserdata will allow you to open Visual Studio. Keep in mind however that this will reset your license and any other "user data" associated with your login. You will also still not be able to "Sign In" through Visual Studio as doing so locks up or potentially causes the same crash. You can, however, connect to Team Foundation which will allow you access to Source Control Explorer. Hoping that Microsoft finds the issue soon as it's quite bothersome.

I tried that and now I can no longer use Visual Studio.

Be careful!

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:00 PM
  • brian, I did that, and now I can't login with my license, and Visual Studio shows an Evaluation period expired with no other option.

I can't use VS any more. Any fix for this?

This is urgent.

Thanks

• Edited by Lghigliani Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:22 PM error
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:07 PM
  • We have the same issue. MS - please advise that you are tracking this and any info that might help us all find a work around that works.

Note: disbling the network adapter does allow you to start VS 2013.  However as soon as you re-enable the adapter VS crashes again.  And with source code in online repositories - we are all dead in the water.

Also - we did try to turn off the "Show page on startup" option - but still crashing.

-mf

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:13 PM
  • No idea..
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:24 PM
  • I am also having same issue today. Till yesterday night it was working fine. I hope some solution is found soon

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:29 PM
  • I think the solution should come from microsoft...they changed something last night

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:33 PM
  • Completely agree - MS where are you?

-mf

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Now I need a fix for that /resetuserdata 

Visual Studio shows a Evaluation time expired message with no other option. I can't login with my MSDN account and so it became unusable.

I have more than ten active projects there. I am worse than before!

Does anyone know at least how to get it working back still with this connection issue?

Before this /resetuserdata I was able to work (not to commit)

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:40 PM
  • We have some success with this as a work around.  I think what MS broke was their account management system, or an interface to it.

Try the following:

1. Disable network adapter.

2. Start VS 2013

3. Sign Out (the link in the upper right).

4. Enable network adapter.

For us - this is working.

Sorry - no idea on the /resetuserdata thing though.

Note: we do not use vs online for source code control - we have our own  - so signing out of vs may not work for everyone of course.

-mf

• Edited by MatthewDev Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by TomCoh Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:05 PM
  • I also have the same issue.  VS was working yesterday but not today.
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:11 PM
  • Ya same here.  
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:27 PM
  • One of our developers is having this issue and others are not.  She is on a 32 bit windows machine using Visual Studio Professional. All others are on 64 bit machines using VS Premium.   The only updates that came in last night were for MS Endpoint Protection KB2461484 (Definition 1.255.356.0) and later, (Definition 1.255.354).  She did not receive definition 1.255.354 perhaps because she is 32bit Windows?.  Apparently, these endpoint protection updates can't be removed.  Hoping for help from Microsoft.
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:31 PM
  • Install Update 5 for Visual Studio 2013

Link:

https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=Visual%20Studio%202013%20Update%205

If you cannot download the web installer

1. Reset your settings using devenv /resetuserdata to fix the crash
    2. Open Visual Studio
    3. Use an MSDN product key to activate your Visual Studio
    4. Tools -> Extensions and Updates
    5. Select tab Updates
    6. Install Update 5 
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:44 PM
  • Thank you, it worked just fine!
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:48 PM
  • The product key thing worked for me! Thanks.

Resolved the /resetuserdata  -> VS unusable issue

Back to work...

I will wait for MS to fix the MSDN login issue...

Will update 5 do that?

• Edited by Lghigliani Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Yes, Updade 5 fixes the login issue
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Update 5 worked also for me...Thank you!!!
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:44 PM
  • I'm wondering why suddenly VS2013 stopped working today on October 1st 2017. Was it caused by a certain Windows Update or something else? I need some more explanation from Microsoft.  It just doesn't make sense to me that we all have to install update 5 to resolve this major issue while it was working fine yesterday!

DH

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Does installing update 5 require a restart? 
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Yep. And the update worked for me.
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Thank!!!! its help me!
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:31 AM
  • This is exellent... the issues have started impacting every developer on my team. When downloading 6GB on slower networks takes 6 hours and installing Update 5 brings other issues, stuff like this is really valuable. Thanks @MatthewDev
    • Edited by icross Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:10 AM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:09 AM
  • We have some success with this as a work around.  I think what MS broke was their account management system, or an interface to it.

Try the following:

1. Disable network adapter.

2. Start VS 2013

3. Sign Out (the link in the upper right).

4. Enable network adapter.

For us - this is working.

Sorry - no idea on the /resetuserdata thing though.

Note: we do not use vs online for source code control - we have our own  - so signing out of vs may not work for everyone of course.

-mf

I had the same issue and this solved it.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Can anyone please provide a working link to download Update 5? Or is it just the site being overloaded? I'm having eternal "download spinners" besides the download entries.
    • Edited by monomorph Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:05 PM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:01 PM
  • So deploying an update without testing it isn't really something I'd like to do, and I can't disable the network adapter of a server that is in the cloud. Any other ideas? Microsoft? This is kind of crazy! 
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:04 PM
  • I did the network adapter thing + devenv /resetusersettings

Now I'm trapped in an endless sign in, get new licence, this instance of the application is already in the process of signing in. 

Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:57 PM
  • See my post in a similar thread. It's the one "proposed as answer" containing links to an iso.

• Edited by monomorph Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:15 PM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:14 PM
  • It's a nightmare, I'm telling you, a nightmare.

Even downloading update 5 seems like a trip to hell.

What's with all that stupid websockets or other interactive stuff that only shows spinning wheels and never works? I hate web apps and all that crap.

What's wrong with a good old HTML link to the actual download file? Ugh

Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:16 PM
  • You are not alone, 

As I could not download the update 5 (like an another comment, the download spinner never ends and don't show the download button), I use the /resetuserdata and now i can't sign in. It's always saying that "This instance of the application is already in the process of signing in."

I hope there will be a solution soon becouse I have wasted a hole day trying to fix the problem
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:20 PM
  • installing update 5 solved it for me!
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:24 PM
  • AWESOME !!! Installing the Update 5 has resolved the VS2013 crash issue for ME.
    Friday, November 3, 2017 8:59 AM
  • I also installed the vs2013.5.iso and problem solved

Friday, November 3, 2017 2:21 PM