none
Failed to save one or more alerts: A subscription for e-mail delivery requires a valid e-mail address

Question

• 

We have upgraded to TFS 15.  Now, when any user tries to add an email alert such as "Send me an email alert when My work items are changed by others," they get a popup screen in the browser that says:

"Failed to save one or more alerts:

A subscription for e-mail delivery requires a valid e-mail address.

Parameter name: preferences"

I have confirmed that previous email alerts that were setup before we upgraded from TFS 2013 to TFS 2015 are working correctly.  I also confirmed that all users are receiving @mention emails, but can't create new alerts.  Any ideas on how we can overcome this and be able to save alerts?

Thanks!

Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi 6265 gd,

Thank you for posting here.

Did you download TFS15 RC2 or TFS2017 ?(Because TFS15 was released yesterday, and the name was changed to TFS2017).

And I suggest that you could:

1.Clean the cache on the server machine:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Web Access\Cache_v11.0

2.After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

3.Ask the users to type the e-mail address manually:

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by naveencent Friday, November 18, 2016 9:49 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by 6265gd Friday, November 18, 2016 6:22 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 9:08 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Limitxiao Gao.  We tried your suggestion - The Web Access folder was empty so tehre was no cache to clear.  We also restarted IIS.  We are still experiencing the same issue.  As far as the version of TFS goes, we are on Team Foundation Server 15 RC2.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Hi 6265gd,

Did you setup email alert on app tier of TFS and tested it. check this screenshot below.

Friday, November 18, 2016 7:23 PM
  • Hi

We are having the same issue on TFS 2017 (15.105.25910.0 (Tfs2017)).

- Team Alerts to [Members' default alert address] are saved correctly and sends emails when triggered

- Personal alerts with manually typed email address is saved correctly (Edit next to "Send to" and write the same address as default)

- Personal alerts with the default email address are not saved and we get the same error as 6265gd "myname@mydomain.com[default]". The correct email address is displayed in the "Send To" field.

I have checked the TFS Configuration database, "ConfirmedNotificationAddress" and "CustomNotificationAddresses" have the same email address for each identity under tbl_PropertyValue.

Any progress on this error?

Thanks!

Monday, January 09, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Hi Kristoffer,

Did you upgrade from previous version to TFS2017 too? And did the alert worked well in previous version?

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 9:24 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue, Team alerts are working.  Personal alerts with default email address are not working.  I don't know if they worked before since this user is just trying to set these up.  We have upgraded from TFS2015.

Please update with any Progress on fixing this!?

Friday, February 10, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Hi Todd W,

Please also try to restart the IIS and check the result again, also you could try to repair TFS in control panel.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Just replying to say we have the same issue.

Recently upgraded from TFS2015 to 2017, but not sure if this was an issue previously.

Email alert settings are ok, TFS alerts are sent succesfully, but personal alerts are not. When saving the errormessage is shown:

Failed to save one or more alerts:
    A subscription for e-mail delivery requires a valid e-mail address.
    Parameter name: preferences

Monday, February 13, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi A.Korevaar, Todd W,6265gd,Hovland,

I suggest that you could submit the feedback to the following link:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/22/index.html

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:22 AM
  • I will post problem on that site.

Thanks for the reply.

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Getting nowhere on this....they closed this issue without reading this thread or even giving me a chance to respond.

Couldn't post the link correctly, but you can follow it there.

https://
    developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/20345/unable-to-create-alerts-under-my-alerts.html?childToView=20544#comment-20544

Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:40 AM
  • Hi Todd W,

I am sorry that you did not get the respond, I will help you post the link here:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/20345/unable-to-create-alerts-under-my-alerts.html

Then other people could comment on it to get the attention from MS.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:42 AM
  • I already answered in the developercommunity thread how I found a workaround for this bug. Here's a copy of it, hope this helps:

It seems, TFS validates if there is an valid email address by getting it form the ActiveDirectory User account. If there is no, you get the mentioned error message. As i do not know all of the email addresses for the AD User Accounts, i just added a fake one to every User who wants to user TFS Alerts.

I'm not exactly sure, when TFS triggers the sync with AD Identities including the Email Address, but on the normal, hourly synchronization job it wont get updated. I tested this with a tool by Neno Loje (can't add links by now, but you can find it in the developer community thread) and the field MailAddress in the SQL Table tbl_identity remained empty all the time.

I finally got the Email Address synced with the following steps:

- Set Email Adress in AD User Account
    - Remove AD User from AD Usergroup --> wait for sync or force sync with tool mentioned above
    - Add AD User to AD Usergroup --> sync again

Still, i think this is a Bug which needs to be resolved by MS.

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:53 AM
  • If you're still blocked, we would be happy to help you with this.  Please contact me jmarks@microsoft.com and we can discuss diagnostic steps.
    Wednesday, May 03, 2017 5:52 PM