none
Install directory RRS feed

• Question

• In visual studio 2017  there is no way to define an install directory on destination PC ?

A directory that will contain program and others files a decide to include?

I used so far Inno setup compiler for Visual Basic 6 with easy options.

I do not think so.

Thanks, Enzo

Thursday, January 4, 2018 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Enzo,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

To confirm this question, did you try to install VS or make a setup installer?

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

When you install Visual Studio 2017 from a command prompt, you can use a variety of command-line parameters to control or customize the installation.

--installPath <dir>

The installation directory for the instance to act upon. For the install command, this is Optional and is where the instance will be installed. For other commands, this is Required and is where the previously installed instance was installed

refer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/use-command-line-parameters-to-install-visual-studio

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 5, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Sorry i did not explain correctely.

I mean: to install an application designed by VS 2017.

I have been asked to choose 

1) where to publish the app

2) if from CD or DVD (my case)

but not where App will be installed

Thanks, Enzo

Friday, January 5, 2018 4:58 PM
  • @Enzo,

If you publish your winform app in solution explorer window, it would create the setup.exe file, it would not install it automatically.

If you want to install this app, you could copy the publish folder to any machine/path you want to after you finish the publish wizard.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:45 AM