none
Visual Studio and Windows Update 1809 RRS feed

• Question

• Ever since the Windows update 1809 I have not been able to start up Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise.  I tried Visual Studio 2019 Community and it does not work either.  I get a beep and nothing else.  I am running Windows 10 Home.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Did you meet any error message when you start the VS 2017/2019?

According to your description, please have a try with the following to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Run VS as an administrator
    2. Run the command “devenv /Safemode “can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems
    3. Run the VS installer as administrator, repair VS 2017 and VS 2019
    4. Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If this issue persists, I need your help to use the command "devenv /log" to gather the activity log and upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/, share the link here.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 4, 2019 5:59 AM
  • Where would I find the log?
    Sunday, July 7, 2019 4:06 PM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for your update.

Please follow the detail steps as below:

1. Enter the IDE directory on the “cmd” command line

2. Run devenv /log

3. Enter in the file explorer”%appdata%”

By default, the log file is: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

Version is the corresponding version information

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, July 8, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Here is my link for vs2017 log

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnVn4vdpTJAfge5DCICvbAVQGrDpQA

Here is the link for vs2019 log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnVn4vdpTJAfge5JmifieMnOeSXzgA?e=89a0tA

Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:26 PM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for your detail information.

I tried to check the log files and there is no error or warning message.

Did you meet any errors in updating Windows?

Please have a try with the following:

(1) Perform a clean boot of computer and check if other installed software affects it

(2) Run the VS installer as administrator and try to repair VS 2017/2019

If the problem persists, please try to re-install the VS 2017.

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:57 AM
  • It was working before the update and no new software was installed at that time.  I have uninstalled and re-installed both 2017 and 2019 multiple times.  I have also tried repair but nothing works.  I get no error just the splash screen and a beep and the splash goes away.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:48 PM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for your update.

How did you uninstall the VS 2017 and VS 2019? Please have a try with the following to re-install VS:

• See if you have this file on your machine: "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe"
    • If so, please launch it from an admin command prompt with a -full param:

InstallCleanup.exe -full

• If not, please manually delete the "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer” folder
    • Relaunch the newly downloaded vs_enterprise.exe (or vs_professional.exe or vs_community.exe…)
    • Allow the first step to install the installer
    • Once the installer comes up and you can see workload choices (.net desktop and the like), close it
    • Go launch the same InstallCleanup.exe to clean up old build of VS
    • Then re-run the VS installer to install

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, July 19, 2019 6:25 AM
  • I will try the above.   I just checked my event viewer and received this error

Profile notification of event Unload for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details.

I don't know where to go to see the Tracelogging.  Can you help here?

Thanks

George

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:53 PM
  • I forgot to mention that Sql Server management studio will not open either.   I loaded it on my laptop and it works
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:56 PM