Build Process Template Retrieval Failure

Question

• I attempting to create and run a build definition in TFS 2013. I have defined the build definition using the default template TfvcTemplate.12.xaml. When I attempt to run the build I receive the error below.  I was going to attempt to download the template and save it source control but I cannot download the file either.  The same error comes up in a windows dialog (too big to fit the screen).  I can't even get the file online somewhere to be able to use.

The template is obviously there on the server since I can define the definition for it but unable to be downloaded by the build process or through VS UI.  There is no templates folder that was created in any of the team projects.  When attempting to download the entire process templates the build templates do not exist.

Any help would be appreciated on this. 

TF215097: An error occurred while initializing a build for build definition \Services\Services - Dev: 
    Exception Message: Failed to download file #/1/BuildProcessTemplates/TfvcTemplate/TfvcTemplate.12.xaml. Details 404:Not Found - 
    <!DOCTYPE html>
    <html>
        <head>
            <title>Page not found. - Microsoft Team Foundation Server</title>
            <style type="text/css">
                body { font-family: Segoe UI, Tahoma, Arial, Verdana; font-size: 16px; height: 100%; }
                A { color: #007ACC; text-decoration: none; }
                A:hover { text-decoration: underline; }
                h1 { font-size: 32px; color: #888; margin-bottom: 0px; }
                h2 { font-size: 24px; color: #888; font-weight: normal; margin-top: 0px; }
                pre { font-family: Consolas, Courier New, monospace; font-size: 12px; border: 1px solid #ccc; background-color: #eee; padding: 10px;}

</style>

(type FileNotFoundException)
    Exception Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Client.FileContainerHelper.GetFile(TfsTeamProjectCollection projectCollection, String itemPath, Stream outputStream)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Client.FileContainerHelper.GetFileAsString(TfsTeamProjectCollection projectCollection, String itemPath)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Client.ProcessTemplate.Download(String sourceGetVersion)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Hosting.BuildControllerWorkflowManager.PrepareRequestForBuild(WorkflowManagerActivity activity, IBuildDetail build, WorkflowRequest request, IDictionary`2 dataContext)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Build.Hosting.BuildWorkflowManager.TryStartWorkflow(WorkflowRequest request, WorkflowManagerActivity activity, BuildWorkflowInstance& workflowInstance, Exception& error, Boolean& syncLockTaken)

Friday, March 07, 2014 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan, 

Thanks for your post. 

Try to clean the Cache for TFS 2013 manually(delete the content of the folder only, not the cache folder itself):

1. Clean the VS Cache folder on your Server machine. The folder path is: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\5.0\Cache. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    2. Clean the Cache folder on Server machine. The folder path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Web Access\Cache_v12.0. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    3. After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan, 

Thanks for your post.

you’re using VS 2013?

In your TFS 2013 Admin Console>>Build Configuration, click the Refresh in the right panel, ensure Build Service can be refreshed correctly. And check the Events in the right panel, if any error in the Events, please share the error log here.

And I suggest you try to install another TFS 2013 Build Service, then try to create a new build definition using the build controller in this new Build Service, and check the result.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:26 AM
  • I have already tried installing the build service on a different server with no success.  There are no build service events logged either when I look from the admin console.

I am able to define a build using the default template.  All the settings for the default template show up in the build definition.  On the process tab of the build definition there is a download option below the template drop-down.  This same error appears when I go to manually download it.  I tried downloading it from different collections, different team projects and using different team projects under different process templates.  None of that has worked with the same error.

I did install a brand new TFS instance locally with a build controller and was able to pull down the build template that way.  For sanity sake I tried adding my machine as a build controller to our main TFS instance with no success. 

I was able to take the copy of the build template I downloaded, add it to source control on our main TFS instance and successfully run a build using that template.

Monday, March 10, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Hi Ryan, 

Thanks for your post. 

Try to clean the Cache for TFS 2013 manually(delete the content of the folder only, not the cache folder itself):

1. Clean the VS Cache folder on your Server machine. The folder path is: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation\5.0\Cache. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    2. Clean the Cache folder on Server machine. The folder path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Web Access\Cache_v12.0. (os: Windows Server 2008 R2)
    3. After cleaned, on Server machine, click Start and select Run… to open the dialog box, then input iisreset.exe and click OK, wait it run completely.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:13 AM