none
Setting up Visual Studio 2017 c++ RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up Visual Studio C++ 2017.   There are eleven optional downloads for the Desktop Development with C++ that I am not using yet:

C++/CLI support

standard library modules   

three windows 10 sdks

a 2015.3 v140 toolset

incredibuild  

windows 8.1 sdk

windows xp support

mfc and atl

clang/cli

Which should I have, if any, for game programming?  I will be using containers, etc.  Does it make sense to just download all of them?  Are there any other needed or suggested downloads?

Also, my debugger does not show me immediate debugging errors after something not correct is entered, what do I need to do, is this a download too?  In Visual Studio 2015 there were red or green squigglies. 

Thank you,

Josheir

• Edited by Josheir Monday, July 3, 2017 2:22 AM
    Monday, July 3, 2017 1:58 AM

All replies

• Since the things most useful to gaming are in the Windows SDK then you really don't need anything more than the latest Windows 10 SDK. The use of the other Windows 10 SDKs and the Windows 8.1 SDK are very limited since for desktop development, everything they contain is in the latest Windows 10 SDK.

C++/CLI is for .NET development in C++. The standard library modules is an experimental feature. The 2015.3 toolset is the VS2015 C++ compiler packaged for 2017, so you don't need them installed side by side, if you do have both installed then this is useless. Incredibuild is a distributed compile server, so you can set up the build to operate on a cluster of computers to increase build speeds. Windows XP support is what the description states. MFC and ATL support is if you want to use the MFC and ATL libraries. Clang/C2 is an older version of the clang compiler with the Visual C++ code generation. But it was stated recently that because of how much Visual C++ has caught up, they don't see the need to keep clang/c2 going.

So unless you have a need for any of these features, then you can just leave them unselected. I only really have the 14.1 toolset and the latest Windows 10 SDK installed myself.

As for the red squiggles, first that is an editor feature, and the red squiggles are for compiler errors. The debugger is the mode that it goes into when you hit the green play button or hit f5, f10 or f11 (or one of the associated menu options). Visual Studio will be in editor mode otherwise. Anyway, they should show up automatically by default. If the red squiggles aren't showing for you, try checking if they are enabled under the Tools->Options menu.

If they aren't disabled, try doing a repair install of Visual Studio 2017.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Monday, July 3, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Hi Josheir,

thanks for posting here.

>>Which should I have, if any, for game programming?  I will be using containers, etc.  Does it make sense to just download all of them?  Are there any other needed or suggested downloads?

Actually in vs 2017 setup page, it has the Mobile & Gaming category.

You could choose game development with c++ for building DirectX desktop games.

Or choose Mobile development with C++ for building Android or iOS applications.

Here are some blogs about game developing with c++ for you as references.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/04/11/directx-game-development-with-c-in-visual-studio/

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/04/18/android-and-ios-development-with-c-in-visual-studio/

Hope this could be help of you.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click &quot;Unmark as Answer&quot; if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

• Proposed as answer by Baron Bi Tuesday, July 18, 2017 8:08 AM
    Monday, July 3, 2017 5:48 AM