I get an error claiminig that "No certificate was found for
    subject Name CN=<certname>".

The certificate is in place and the site can be accessed
    properly with https protocol.

The sample runs without any problems on a second
    Vista computer.

Does it mean that Geneva Framework has problems
    finding certificates on WinXP/Win2003 ?

I know it is for Vista/Win2008 but IT IS A HUGE LIMITATION ...

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:20 AM

All replies

• gracias said:

Environment : Windows XP

<snip>

I know it is for Vista/Win2008 but IT IS A HUGE LIMITATION ...

I could not agree more.  What is the dependency that is preventing the Geneva framework from running on XP.  Zurmont did.  What was added that needed these new OSes? 

TIA!

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Hi Gracias,

The "Geneva" Framework is not support for Windows XP or Windows 2003. We are still weighing our options for supported platforms for future releases. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jason
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Jason D. Shaw - MSFT said: The "Geneva" Framework is not support for Windows XP or Windows 2003. We are still weighing our options for supported platforms for future releases. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

My feedback is that we really need support for XP.  The IT department where I work won't support Vista or Server 2008, so we've had to resort to VMs and machines that IT won't touch.  This is not an optimal development arrangement.  Support on XP would rectify this.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Hi Travis,

Could you please answer the following so we have an idea as to what type of support developers are looking for? Which versions of  IIS are you using? Are you building WCF applications? Are you just using XP as the development platform and deploying to Win2K3?

This feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jason
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Jason D. Shaw - MSFT said: Which versions of  IIS are you using? Are you building WCF applications? Are you just using XP as the development platform and deploying to Win2K3?

We are developing XP because our IT department won't support anything new ATM.  We are creating a large SOA comprised of ASP.NET Web applications and WCF services.  We write all of our code and unit tests on laptop running XP.  After unit tests are passing, we deploy into an integration lab where we have a half dozen Windows 2008 Server machines, which is our target OS.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Hi,

> The "Geneva" Framework is not support for Windows XP or Windows 2003.

I *did* knew that as I wrote in my mail above, but thanks anyway ...

> We are still weighing our options for supported platforms for future releases.

Unfortunately, your answer means that our team *has to* drop further

investigation of Geneva. We are using WinXP as development machines and it

is unlikly this will change in a "near" future. We have just decided to stay with

our current solution, which, although has some drawbacks, works ok on our

Win2003 WebServer. Pitty, because Geneva looks quite good :(.

Monday, January 26, 2009 7:30 AM
  • If I can chime in here too I find the XP limitation a big one.  The issue is that if you are developing a smart client application for wide deployment that will call wcf services and want to use geneva to help with authentication you really can't.  This is a huge limitation if you know a large percentage of your client base will be running XP.  Granted if you don't need anything from the WTrust client and can get by with the auto federation bindings its not so bad, but I still see it as a huge limitation.  My biggest concern is deployment on the client side.  I still develop on XP as well so that is a pain but more liveable.  The server side support for 2008 only isn't as big of a problem but it would potentially mean that I couldn't upgrade existing servers to use geneva for authentication as they cannot be upgraded to 2008 at the moment.  That just means you would have to have multiple authentication methods which is what geneva is supposedly supposed to help eliminate.  Is there really any good reason not to support XP and 2003 server.  If there are IIS limitations I could see limiting the support to non-IIS scenarios (self hosted WCF servers and clients) which would be better than nothing.

Anyhow that is my 2 cents worth.  I really hope Microsoft reconsiders platform support before launch. 
    Friday, February 06, 2009 12:14 AM
  • The funny thing is ... that Geneva seems to work on WinXP ... after
    some tweaking done. I got samples from Geneva Framework working
    ok on WinXP, despite my initial problems described in the first mail
    in this thread. The problem seemed to be a server certificate related
    and I don't really understand why it occured. Geneva samples don't
    work if I use a certificate from our Certificate Store, but when I set
    my XP box to use "Geneva Signing Certificate" they imidiately run
    ok. The difference between "Geneva Signing Certificate" and my
    certificate is that "Geneva Signing Certificate" is selfissued and for
    all purposes, while my certificate is obtained from our Certificate Store
    and is only for identyfing a computer.

Why Geneva samples work with "Geneva Signing Certificate" and
    do not work with a certificate from our Certificate Store ?
    Friday, February 06, 2009 10:17 AM
  • gracias,

It could be with some extra data in your certificate issued from your Certificate Store. I have ran into issues where we've had to use an old IBM tool to load certificates into a tool and save them out without the extra information so that Actional Soap Station could use them.

Don't know why extra info in a certificate causes things to fail, I thought that was why we had standards so we could all play nice together, but you know how it is when companies want to add their own touch to things.

If I can find the link for the tool we used, I'll post it here.

jlavin
    Friday, February 06, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Hi All,

I couldn't wait for official support for XP any longer and resorted to hackery to make the framework install.  You can read about how I did at http://travisspencer.com/blog/2009/02/installing-geneva-framework-on.html.

HTH!

Regards,

Travis Spencer
    http://travisspencer.com
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hi Gracias,

The "Geneva" Framework is not support for Windows XP or Windows 2003. We are still weighing our options for supported platforms for future releases. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jason

My company was planning to incorporate Geneva into our service, but those plans were cancelled once we realized that the Geneva framework isn't supported on Windows XP.  In our case it's not essential to have Windows XP support for the Geneva server or for development, but a WCF client application has to be able to run on Windows XP.  The vast majority of our customers' workstations are running Windows XP, and most of them have no plans to upgrade to Vista.  Most of them tell us they will wait until Windows 7 has been out for a while and has been proven to be stable before they will move from Windows XP.
    Friday, April 03, 2009 7:51 PM
  • I too would like to see support for XP.  There are a lot of large companies that are slow to upgrade their OS, so I think that it would be a good idea to support them.  Instead of people upgrading to Vista+ to get WIF support, you may see people moving away towards other frameworks.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:09 AM