none
Problem deploying managed automation add-ins with VSTO 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the Carter and Lippert "Visual Studio Tools for Office 2007" book.  On the bottom of page 107, there are instructions for "Deploying Managed Automation Add-Ins".  When I right-click my solution in Solution Explorer, and select Add, there is no "Add New Project" selection. 

Is there something missing from my installation?  It works fine in my debugger by using Excel.exe as the external program, but I want to be able to deploy it to other machines.

Thanks!
    • Changed type Bessie Zhao Monday, September 7, 2009 1:59 AM
    • Changed type MaryYaahooo Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:51 PM Added more info
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Mary,

If you want to be able to deploy it to other machines, just follow the instructions of "Deploying Managed Automation Add-ins". First, please ensure that you have seen the AutomationAddin.MyFunctions in the list of automation servers, as shown in Figure 3-8 in the book.
    Here are the steps about deployment:
    1. Right-click your solution (name is "Solution 'AutomationAddin' " not "AutomationAddin") in Solution Explorer and choose New Porject from the Add menu.
    2. In the Add New Project dialog, choose Setup Project from Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment in the Project Types tree, input Name as Setup1(default), and click Ok.
    3. Right-click the added setup project(i.e. Setup) in Solution Explorer and choose Project Output from the Add menu.
    4. In the Add Project Output Group dialog box, choose the AutomationAddin project and select Primary Output, and Click Ok.
    5. Build the setup project by right-clicking the Setup1 and choosing Build.

Now you can install this customization to other machines.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I am still confused.

In Excel, I see the Add-In and have selected it as in Figure 3-10 on page 104 of the book.

When you say to Right-click in Solution Explorer, you mean in Visual Studio, correct?  I open the project  "AutomationAddIn".  In Solution Explorer, when I right click on "AutomationAddIn", there is an Add item in the menu.  The submenus from the Add menu are:

New Item
    Existing Item
    New Folder
    -------
    Windows Form
    User Control
    -------
    Component
    Class

Note there is no "New Project" menu item.   Am I looking in the right place?

By the way, I am on XP Pro - not sure if things would look slightly different between XP and Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Mary
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hi Mary,

Yes, it is in Visual Studio. When opening the Solution Explorer window, there is a item named "Solution 'AutomationAddin'", which represents the whole solution. Do you see it? Right-click it and then choose Add item in the menu. You will see submenus from this Add menu:

New Project...
    Existing Project...
    New Web Site...
    Existing Web Site...

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:28 AM

• We are changing the issue type to "General Discussion" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question" by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:58 AM
  • At the very top of the window, there is the text "Solution Explorer - AutomationAddIn" and to the right of that there is a Down Arrow that opens to a menu that says:

Floating
    Dockable
    Tabbed Document
    Auto Hide
    Hide

But I'm sure this is not what you are talking about, that's just the info about how the Solution Explorer window moves around.

The first entry in the tree control that is contained in the Solution Explorer window is "AutomationAddIn", and underneath that is "Properties", "References", and class file.

I don't think we are looking at the same thing.  Would it be possible for me to post a screen shot of what I see?

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Yes, it is possible. here is a thread: How to insert a PICTURE into a forum post.

Best regards,
    Bessie
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:33 AM
  • I'm afraid my company won't allow me to post a screen shot on a web site like that.  Sorry about that.

Would there be any chance you could post a screen shot so I know what it is supposed to look like.

I'm wondering if I need to install something so I get those menus to enable.  Any thoughts about that?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

When opening the Solution Explorer window, there is a item named "Solution 'AutomationAddin'", which represents the whole solution. It is shown as below.

Friday, September 18, 2009 10:57 AM