none
Reporting server in tfs

Question

• Hi,

would like to know is it possible to create the reporting server if we are not taking backup of the reporting server(tfs2013warehouse) and tfsanalaysis db.In some of the document is it mention that this reporting can be recreate even if we do not do backup of this.

In short is it mandatory to back this or it is can be recreated if there is no backup.Please let me know

Thanks

DJM

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

from the tfs client i can see for a team project

and when i click the report folder shows nothing and then i click site for which on the report server i can see below

which means i need to run the command which you told

tfpt addprojectreports /collection:"http://MyServer:8080/tfs/DefaultCollection" /teamproject:MyProject /processtemplate:"TemplateName"

so when trying to run this command for a particular project iam getting this error

TF400324: Team Foundation services are not available from the server.
    Technical information (for administrator):
      TF200038: You cannot create a team project with your version of Team Explorer.
     Contact your system administrator to determine how to upgrade your Team Explore
    r client to the version compatible with Team Foundation Server.

is something missed by us

Thanks

DJM

• Edited by DilipJM Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by DilipJM Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:45 AM
  • Hi DilipJM,

If the visual studio version is older than TFS version, when addprojectreports will meet this error.

For example: If you use TFS 2015, you need to use Developer Command Prompt for vs2015 to run tfpt addprojectreports command. If you use vs 2013, you will meet this error.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi DJM,

Thank you for posting here.

Yes, you could create the reporting server without taking backup of the tfs_warehouse and tfs_analysis databases. You need to rebuild warehouse and analysis databases from TFS Admin Console Reporting page.

Then you need to manually process the TFS data warehouse and analysis services cube, please refer to the follow link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/report/admin/manually-process-data-warehouse-and-cube

The data of Tfs_Warehouse is from Tfs_Collection database.

The following diagram shows the high-level architecture of the Team Foundation data warehouse and the relationships between the operational stores, the data warehouse, and the team reports.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for the link and we did tried the same step as mention in the note.

since we have move the db and app tier to new host which is successful and for reporting we follow the steps which you mention.we observed one  thing when we use tfs using thick client using team explorer or we are not able to see standard report of the team project while if i create new project i can see this.

please let us know what we are missing do

Thanks

DJM

Friday, March 03, 2017 3:45 PM
  • Hi DJM,

Did you mean the old team projects Reports section is missing in team explorer?

Did you check whether there have team projects report folder in your report server?  If the folders exist, you need to delete them first.

Then you could use this command to recreate reports for team projects:

tfpt addprojectreports /collection:"http://MyServer:8080/tfs/DefaultCollection" /teamproject:MyProject /processtemplate:"TemplateName"

For more information, refer to this link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/report/admin/upload-reports#upload-reports-to-your-team-project-tfs-2015-and-earlier-versions

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Monday, March 06, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi Yan,

do i need to run this for each project.As mention in my early query that we are recreating the report since we assume we do not have back(for tfswarehouse2013 and for reporting)and i just follow the instruction as mention to recreate after that what i find i can see on team home report but when i click nothing comes.But if i create new team project i can see report on team project and i can see default reports.

Please help me in understanding this.

Thanks

DJM

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Hi DilipJM,

To resolve your current issue, you need to run the command I provide before for each projects.

Did you check whether there have team projects report folder in your report server?

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 09, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

from the tfs client i can see for a team project

and when i click the report folder shows nothing and then i click site for which on the report server i can see below

which means i need to run the command which you told

so when trying to run this command for a particular project iam getting this error

TF400324: Team Foundation services are not available from the server.
    Technical information (for administrator):
      TF200038: You cannot create a team project with your version of Team Explorer.
     Contact your system administrator to determine how to upgrade your Team Explore
    r client to the version compatible with Team Foundation Server.

is something missed by us

Thanks

DJM

• Edited by DilipJM Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:47 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:45 AM
  • Hi DilipJM,

If the visual studio version is older than TFS version, when addprojectreports will meet this error.

For example: If you use TFS 2015, you need to use Developer Command Prompt for vs2015 to run tfpt addprojectreports command. If you use vs 2013, you will meet this error.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi Yan,

thank you for this we are able to see the report now.

one more query how we can import the custom report and how to make them visible from TFS client.

Regards

DJM

Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:09 AM
  • Hi DilipJM,

>>how we can import the custom report and how to make them visible from TFS client.

As your initial issue has resolved, please post this question into a new thread. It will be beneficial for other communities who have the same problem as yours.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:08 PM