none
Configuration system failed to initialize ---- Help Please RRS feed

• Question

• When i try to run my app I get this exception "Configuration system failed to initialize"
    I recently added a datascource to the app and am assuming that something has gone wrong there but it was all working ok and then this error just started.
    I assume it's a problem with my appconfig file which i'll post here I cant see anything wrong with it but.!!
    I've tried deleting the ConnectionString Section but nothing helps and i cant run my app at all!

Heeeeeelp!!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
      <configSections>
      </configSections>
      <connectionStrings>
        <add name="Bank.My.MySettings.AustralianConnectionString" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=&quot;C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\Bank dev\Current Accounts\Australian.mdb&quot;"
            providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />
      </connectionStrings>
      <appsettings>
        <add key="appname"   value="Bank.exe"   />
      </appsettings>
    </configuration>

Friday, December 9, 2005 1:50 AM

Answers

• It sounds like the .config file is broken at some level (most likely local user or roaming user). To locate the files, you can add the following to the constructor of your settings class (or in the settings property get:er that you modified to always return false).

Dim exeConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.None)

Debug.WriteLine(exeConfig.FilePath)

Dim localConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoamingAndLocal)

Debug.WriteLine(localConfig.FilePath)

Dim roamingConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoaming)

Debug.WriteLine(roamingConfig.FilePath)

This will print the location of the exe, local user and roaming user config files. Take a look in those files (if they exist) and look for any stray user scoped setting (you say that you don't have any user scoped settings, so unless any of the assemblies that you reference have user scoped settings, there shouldn't be any).

Let me know if this helps,
    Johan Stenberg

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:10 AM
  • I got this error earlier this evening when I changed the settings available in My.Settings - what I found in my case was that one of the changes I had made had added a StringCollection and it needed a try-catch block to create a new instance the first time around if it didn't exist.

That, plus I had corrupted the user.config file.... when I deleted that it wrote a new one and started working fine.

Good luck!

Mike
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:12 PM

All replies

• With it being that small, why not just delete the file and let a new one be generated?

BTW you can change &quot; to a single quote: ' , unless that's the way the config is being saved even with a single quote as part of your originial string.

Randy

• Proposed as answer by timclaason Monday, August 3, 2009 8:08 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:26 AM
  • I got this error earlier this evening when I changed the settings available in My.Settings - what I found in my case was that one of the changes I had made had added a StringCollection and it needed a try-catch block to create a new instance the first time around if it didn't exist.

That, plus I had corrupted the user.config file.... when I deleted that it wrote a new one and started working fine.

Good luck!

Mike
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 12:12 PM
  • Glad to hear that you solved your problem. Out of curiosity - did you try the Synchronize button in the settings designer? It will try & hunt down and delete any user.config files that may be out of sync/broken...

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg
    • Proposed as answer by Graememk Monday, July 26, 2010 11:29 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:21 PM
  • Thanks all.
    I deleted the config file and it worked ok but i still dont know how it got stuffed up as i never touched it!

Still it's ok now

Thanks
    Monday, December 12, 2005 12:53 AM
  • I'm getting the same error message, but I can't get it to go away no matter what I do.  All I did was add a simple application-level setting, and now the settings refuse to work.  I've tried deleting all auto-generated files in the project and letting them regenerate.  I've tried removing all the settings and re-adding them.  I don't have any user-level preferences in this project, so the Synchronize button doesn't help.  I've even tried setting up a new project with the same old files.  Nothing has worked.

I can force the project to compile it by manually editing the Settings.Designer.vb file and forcing the desired settings to return, but this rather defeats the purpose. E.g., everything in the following was autogenerated except the apostrophe before the commented line and the line that precedes it:

<Global.System.Configuration.ApplicationScopedSettingAttribute(),  _
             Global.System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute(),  _
             Global.System.Configuration.DefaultSettingValueAttribute("False")>  _
            Public ReadOnly Property usingTestDB() As Boolean
                Get
                    Return False
                    'Return CType(Me("usingTestDB"),Boolean)
                End Get
            End Property

If I leave the code as is, then when execution gets to the Return Ctype etc. line it throws an exception with error message ("Configuration system failed to initialize".).  Any other ideas that aren't in this thread already?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:02 AM
  • It sounds like the .config file is broken at some level (most likely local user or roaming user). To locate the files, you can add the following to the constructor of your settings class (or in the settings property get:er that you modified to always return false).

Dim exeConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.None)

Dim localConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoamingAndLocal)

Dim roamingConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoaming)

This will print the location of the exe, local user and roaming user config files. Take a look in those files (if they exist) and look for any stray user scoped setting (you say that you don't have any user scoped settings, so unless any of the assemblies that you reference have user scoped settings, there shouldn't be any).

Johan Stenberg

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:10 AM
  • Thanks, it worked.  Somehow a user.config file from an old incarnation of the project had persisted and was intermittently wreaking havoc.  Odd that the Synchronize button in the Settings Designer didn't find it, though.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:02 PM
  • It's good to hear that you managed to solve the problem.

The synchronize button in the settings designer tries as hard as it can to find all the files involved, but there are some things that it can't determine. In particular, two things that tend to make it confused is if you have click-once deployed or strong-named your executable. This is one area that we are looking to improve in the next version of Visual Studio.

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:11 PM
  • Hi

The error is because you write appsettings and it is appSettings. The config file is case sensitive, i hope that helps.

Pablo
    Monday, January 22, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I'm getting a similar error; however, mine occurs whenever I add a reference to the System.configuration file in the references section of my project.

I'm trying to write to an app.config file using ConfigurationManager.AppSettings.Add and I may just not be doing things right, but the reference to the already existing non-tampered with setting seems to no longer exist after I added the System.configuration reference.

Anyone have any idea about this?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:40 PM
  • This was most helpful.  I had the same problem after trying to clean up a bunch of duplicate connection strings the Visual Studio had created that pointed to the same place.  The synchronize button fixed everything.  I had even tried deleting the entire DataSet and recreating that.

Thanks,

Ken

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:31 PM
  • I have  the same problem, but I am not sure why I am getting it. I tried displaying the exe Config, localConfig, roamingConfig and it displays nothing. I please do note that I am getting this error when I am trying to call the serviced component (.Net 2.0 code) method in ASP. Any ideas how I can fix this.

Thanks,

Kumarp

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:47 PM
  • I was getting a similar error "Configuration system failed to initialize"

When I checked the error details it asked me to put <configSections> as the first section of <configuration> in app.config. I had put <appSettings> as the first element. I moved  <configSections> on top and it worked fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Mohammed

• Proposed as answer by Amol Mahajan Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:15 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2007 8:06 AM
  • Hi mohammed,  thank you so much for ur great idea and stopping me to waste my time to solve this problem.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Hi there,

Unfortunately I'm a victim of that error message, too. I'm not very experienced in working with VS, but here's the config file:

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >

<section name="WochentageDALFactory.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<applicationSettings>

<DALFactory.Properties.Settings>

<setting name="DALNameSpace" serializeAs="String">

<value>WochentageADODAL</value>

</setting>

</DALFactory.Properties.Settings>

</applicationSettings>

</configuration>

I haven't modified or changed anything!

Currently I'm using VS2005 with the Sybase PowerDesigner Plug-in. New updates and so on are installed.

If you have any useful idea, I would be very grateful!!!!

Cheers,

Nihilent

Monday, October 1, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Hi All,

I had an unusual problem with configuration, I was receiving same error (exception) message when trying to run my app. However the problem was not in app config file. I had another project in same solution and this was a web app which was referenced to local IIS. The virtual directory was pointing to solution directory which included debug directory for my app.

I solved the problem by changing virtual directory for the web app (now it didn't include app debug folder) and it works fine.

Regards

Tarik

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:33 AM
  • thanks alot for the solution..i also faced the same error but solved with ur solution.

-Subha
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:42 PM
  •  MSFT Johan Stenberg wrote:

It sounds like the .config file is broken at some level (most likely local user or roaming user). To locate the files, you can add the following to the constructor of your settings class (or in the settings property get:er that you modified to always return false).

Johan Stenberg

Johan, these methods only seem to work when the user.config file is valid. Is there a way I can obtain the path to the user.config file when it is corrupted? I have a bug in my program where the user.config file will occasionally get corrupted and prevents the entire application from starting. I would like, at the very least, to detect and delete (reset) corrupt user.config files.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Monday, March 17, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  

What a  big problem... i searching on it more than week ... when i find a solution i will write here ...
    Friday, May 2, 2008 1:50 PM

• I find the solution discussed by Dan Miser useful and it solved my issue.

http://www.distribucon.com/blog/ConfigurationSystemFailedToInitialize.aspx
    Monday, September 22, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Thank you so much!!! The Sync button rocks!
    G.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Thanks Mohhamad

Gr8 Solution!
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Most of the time this is the correct solution (when no .config file corrupted).
    The framework is very clear about: if  the configSections node is needed, it must  be the first child node right after <configuration>
    Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:29 PM
  • This error message is very generic. Try debugging the code and look for the inner exception. Inner exception will explain what might be the issue.

I spent nearly two hours to figure out what is happening with my code.  Then finally i dubugged and realised that the config file has got the same element repeated twice.

Good luck!.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:38 PM
  • The name of the corrupted file(s) can be found by placing
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration
    (see Johan Stenberg response) in try/catch pair with 
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException type of exception. This exception
    have FileName as one of the parameters. Then deleting corrupted files within catch brackets
    will prevent the program from crashing.
    • Proposed as answer by sd111 Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:54 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Got something similiar, but really dont know.

Why when I call Application.Restart I get the same error. 

I can quit my app and restart it and its fine, but if I put a button on a form and call Application.Restart ,It happens every time

Davids Learning

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:58 PM
  • I too am getting the dreaded "Configuration system failed to initialize" error and am getting pretty frustrated.  Everything points to there being a problem in my app.config file but I am just not seeing it.  My code is as follows:

<configuration>
      <configSections>
        <sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
          <section name="Serial_Port_Reader.My.MySettings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
        </sectionGroup>
      </configSections>
      <LogScaleReader>
        <Logging FileName=""
         DaysToKeep="7"
         FileDate="_2006_00_00"
         LoggingLevel="3" />
        <ReaderSettings FileName="C:\LogScale\LogScaleSlip"
          PortName="COM1"
          BaudRate="19200"
          DataBits="8"
          Parity="0"
          StopBits="1" />
      </LogScaleReader>
      <system.diagnostics>
        <sources>
          <!-- This section defines the logging configuration for My.Application.Log -->
          <source name="DefaultSource" switchName="DefaultSwitch">
            <listeners>
              <add name="FileLog"/>
              <!-- Uncomment the below section to write to the Application Event Log -->
              <!--<add name="EventLog"/>-->
            </listeners>
          </source>
        </sources>
        <switches>
          <add name="DefaultSwitch" value="Information" />
        </switches>
        <sharedListeners>
          <add name="FileLog"
               type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.Logging.FileLogTraceListener, Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL"
               initializeData="FileLogWriter"/>
          <!-- Uncomment the below section and replace APPLICATION_NAME with the name of your application to write to the Application Event Log -->
          <!--<add name="EventLog" type="System.Diagnostics.EventLogTraceListener" initializeData="APPLICATION_NAME"/> -->
        </sharedListeners>
      </system.diagnostics>
      <userSettings>
        <Serial_Port_Reader.My.MySettings>
          <setting name="WindowLocation" serializeAs="String">
            <value>0, 0</value>
          </setting>
        </Serial_Port_Reader.My.MySettings>
      </userSettings>
    </configuration>

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest to reset the Visual Studio settings.

To do so, in run window type devenv /resetsettings and click OK button.

This should solve your problem. Please let me know if it is done.

Thnx,

Audhesh Jaiswal

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Ok,

I tried to sycronize, I tried to reset my settings as suggested

NO LUCK!!!

The last time it did this, I couldnt resolve it and didnt know what cause it.

This time, I have got it narrowed down, this happens after the projects get published the first time.

I remember this happening the first time after I published it to see what my app looked like on another pc.

I thought it was an RC bug, but know I have got the full version, it still happens.

Can anyone suggest what to do to resolve this, I really dont want to import all of everything again.

Desperate

Davids Learning

Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:08 AM
  • This is exactly what is needed, we have had this happen 2 separate times on our support desk from different users (possibly more, just 2 I know about and we don't have many users with this app either)

Every .NET app needs this code! If you don't the user can't use the app until it's fixed, which is about as serious as bugs get!!

Thanks sd111.

THis is the code I've now added to the app startup...

Dim lstConfigFilesWithErrors As New List(Of String)
                Dim localConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration
                Try
                    localConfig = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoamingAndLocal)
                Catch ex As ConfigurationErrorsException
                    lstConfigFilesWithErrors.Add(ex.Filename)
                Catch ex As Exception
                    Throw
                End Try
                Dim roamingConfig As System.Configuration.Configuration
                Try
                    roamingConfig = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.OpenExeConfiguration(System.Configuration.ConfigurationUserLevel.PerUserRoaming)
                Catch ex As ConfigurationErrorsException
                    lstConfigFilesWithErrors.Add(ex.Filename)
                Catch ex As Exception
                    Throw
                End Try

For Each Str As String In lstConfigFilesWithErrors
                    Try
                        IO.File.Delete(Str)
                    Catch ex As Exception
                    End Try
                Next
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:46 AM
  • New to replying in this forum. I did not mean to check propose as answer above. (don't know how to undo that yet)

I do have an easy answer for some situations of this symptom.
    I recently created a VS2010 solution that had references to some .Net2005 (2.0 framework) dll's.
    The VS2010 solution added a line to my app.config
    <startup><supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/></startup>

I commented out that line and all was well after that.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Please update your file, make the 's' in <appsettings> and </appsettings> to UPPER 'S', I mean update them as <appSettings> and </appSettings>, I met the same problem and resovled it by my way. Hope it is useful for you too!
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Thanks a Lot Aeraf... Its works for me.. !!
    Friday, September 3, 2010 3:58 PM
  • I get the same message when compiling windows and webservices or when publishing projects. After a long search I read about possible problem in the machine.config file. 

In my case the problem occurred with tags <connection strings> out of place. After removing them , the problems were resolved.

Hope that helps!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Aeraf,

Moving configSections at the head of the config file did the trick.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:02 PM
  • I encountered this as well and was not really sure what prompted the error.  I was getting the  "Configuration system failed to initialize" error message at the line making the call to get a connection string. I set a break point at the failure pont then placed the cursor over the ConnectionStrings portion of the following statement. 

string cnStr = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["my string"].connectionstring

Just place the cursor over the ConnectionStrings portion of the statement and wait for the context window to appear.  Drill down 3 times into the base reference and you will see the innerexception message.  The inner exception message will display the full path to the .config file and indicate which line in the app.config file is causing the problem. I just deleted the offending section and it fixed the problem. 

It was odd because the connectionstring entry was not the actual problem.  The message indicated the correct line, but it was elsewhere in the config file.

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:24 AM
  • whoa!! i just encounter this error this morning, got scared because all the back up folder of my project every time open and debug then i got this error:

Configuration system failed to initialize

what i did is i cut the app.config inside the folder to back it up and paste to another folder, i try to run my application then the error "Configuration system failed to initialize" was gone, but then i notice that the app.config has a yellow mark on it, I close the application and paste it back the app.config on the same folder, i open the application, run and suddenly every thing is work fine.

Thanks

jhules

if you want to be happy, find something you love to do and do it for free, then find someone to to you for it.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Jhules,

I write it below in few words.

Create your own questions and use the correct header for that.

Mark those which did help you to find the answer as soon as the question in the header is answered, and create then a new question.

Never hi jack a thread from somebody else for a question.

Success
    Cor
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Thanks Cor,

I'm so sorry for that, don't worry it will never happen again.

if you want to be happy, find something you love to do and do it for free, then find someone to to you for it.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 10:03 AM
  • I was getting a similar error "Configuration system failed to initialize"

When I checked the error details it asked me to put <configSections> as the first section of <configuration> in app.config. I had put <appSettings> as the first element. I moved  <configSections> on top and it worked fine for me.

Hope this helps.

Mohammed

Thank you. I did the same thing and was wondering what I had done wrong. 

Dan

Friday, January 21, 2011 10:20 PM
  • This is stupid, but it worked for me.  In your config file take all configSections, copy and paste them BEFORE the configuration.  When you load and try to run, it will error on you.  Put configSections back underneath where they belong and it should work.  Mine did.  Probably writing to another file.

The Synchronize and all else failed for me.  Hope this works for you...

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:15 PM
  • With it being that small, why not just delete the file and let a new one be generated?

BTW you can change &quot; to a single quote: ' , unless that's the way the config is being saved even with a single quote as part of your originial string.

Randy

This really worked. Thanks

Friday, April 15, 2011 2:45 PM
  • i have same error. lots of errors, can someone break it down for me like 1st: click start..... i am lost right now. Also can you tell me if this error is related to a problem with wunups.exe, scvhost and parameter value invalid. i dont know how i am getting these errors but i need serious help thx
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Basically the error is the format of the .config file, at some point you edit the config and now is not the right format

1.       Open the .config in a xml editor and look for errors

OR

2.       Re-create the .config from scratch and make sure you make edits carefully

Thanks,

Sebastian

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Glad to hear that you solved your problem. Out of curiosity - did you try the Synchronize button in the settings designer? It will try & hunt down and delete any user.config files that may be out of sync/broken...

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

I realize that this is an old thread, but the "Synchronize" button on the Settings Designer was the answer for me. In my case I had renamed the namespace for the main class. This had some interesting side effects like not updating the .csproj file with the correct Main() entry point. I used "Refactor" to change the namespace and it still screwed up.

After the compilation errors from changing the namespace were corrected I started seeing the "Configuration system failed to initialize" exception. Using the "Synchronize" button corrected this and life is once again god.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Check the config file located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config" 

and get rid of additional tags at the end of the file (before </Configuration>).

Example: after installing entity framework for Oracle, below tags wew added to devenv.exe.config.

<ddtek.sybase.entity EdmSchemaRestrictions="User" EnableLoggingApplicationBlock="false" /> 

<ddtek.db2.entity EdmSchemaRestrictions="AccessibleExcludingList" EnableLoggingApplicationBlock="false" />  

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Same here, all my reference where fine, but I had a corrupt app.config file.

Billy

Friday, March 9, 2012 9:59 PM

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

The Synchronize button saved me.  Wish it was easier to see.  Kind of blends into the tabs.  Oh well.  Thanks for the great advice!

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:20 PM