none
Visual Studio 2017 Professional brace matching highlighting problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have ran into a problem that brace matching only be highlighted when the cursor is at left of the braces.

This behavior seems not the same as previous version and Visual Studio Code.

Is there any way to change the setting to highlight the brace matching no matter the cursor is at left/right of the braces?

Monday, April 1, 2019 3:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Petercoin,

Thank you for you update.

I tried to check the C++/C# and the behavior just the same as yours.

Meanwhile, I test it in the VS 2015 and the result also the same, it seems those behaviors are the expected result.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Petercoin Friday, May 24, 2019 8:57 AM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Petercoin,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, I tested it in my side and it works fine when the cursor at the left or right of the braces.

What’s your VS 2017 professional version? If it is not the latest version, you can run the installer and update it.

Please have a try with the following to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Open CMD and navigate to the VS 2017 installation folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode to run it as safe mode, check if the installed extensions caused this issue.
    2. Go to Tools>Import and Export settings>Reset all settings and backup your current setting, then choose ‘General’ to roll back to the default settings

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, April 1, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Sorry for reply lately.

My Visual Studio Professional version is 15.9.10.

After trying the methods you provided, both of them cannot solve my problem.

The languages I test are C++ and C# and the behavior of matching highlight are different.

The matched braces of C++ are highlighted when the cursor is at left of left/right brace.

Regarding C#, they are highlighted when the cursor is at left of left brace or at right of right brace.

Could you help to confirm it again?

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:50 AM
  • Hi Petercoin,

Thank you for you update.

I tried to check the C++/C# and the behavior just the same as yours.

Meanwhile, I test it in the VS 2015 and the result also the same, it seems those behaviors are the expected result.

Best regards,

Sara

• Marked as answer by Petercoin Friday, May 24, 2019 8:57 AM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my lately response.

If possible, could MSFT modify this behavior and make it be the same as Visual Studio Code?

I think it would be a better user experience.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:56 AM