none
C11 headers available in Visual Studio 2015. Out of no where. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi devs!

I recently installed Visual Studio 2015. I write C code. I know that MSVC compiler has very little support for C99, let alone C11.

The header files are located in Programs (x86) -> Visual Studio 14.0 -> VC -> include  as you all know.
    But out of no where and I don't know how, I wrote #include <complex.h> and it didn't underline it. Intellisense was telling that it got it from C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10150.0\ucrt .

I opened the header files in Notepad, and it showed that these were C headers.
    Will they actually work?

Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hi devs!

I recently installed Visual Studio 2015. I write C code. I know that MSVC compiler has very little support for C99, let alone C11.

The header files are located in Programs (x86) -> Visual Studio 14.0 -> VC -> include  as you all know.
    But out of no where and I don't know how, I wrote #include <complex.h> and it didn't underline it. Intellisense was telling that it got it from C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10150.0\ucrt .

I opened the header files in Notepad, and it showed that these were C headers.
    Will they actually work?

Sure. C99 has a complex number extension.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:09 AM
  • "I know that MSVC compiler has very little support for C99, let alone C11."

The support for the C99 library is mostly complete as that is required by C++11. See the MSDN documentation where this is mentioned: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh409293.aspx

"But out of no where and I don't know how, I wrote #include <complex.h> and it didn't underline it."

complex.h is a C99 header, not a C11 header.

"The header files are located in Programs (x86) -> Visual Studio 14.0 -> VC -> include  as you all know."

Not anymore, the C runtime is now part of the OS and as such the headers are part of the Windows SDK, that's why they show up in that path you found.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:13 AM
  • now, how do I remove this stupid question plz?
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:15 AM
  • I don't see what's stupid about the question and others may be looking for the same kind of information.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:31 AM