none
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been battling this for weeks. I want to read xml string from an rss feed. It works fine on localhost and postman, but after i publish and deploy using FTP to the server, i get this error.

Unable to connect to the remote server at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at dayrunnerapp.Controllers.HomeController.callRss(String url) System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 52.1.31.92:80 at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)

This is the function that reads the feed

[WebMethod, AllowCrossSiteJson]
            private string callRss(string url)
            {
                string html = String.Empty;
                try
                {
                    HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(url);
                    request.AutomaticDecompression = DecompressionMethods.GZip;
                    request.UserAgent = "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2";
                    request.Accept = "text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8";
                    request.Headers.Add("Accept-Language", "en-gb,en;q=0.5");
                    request.Headers.Add("Accept-Charset", "ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7");
                    WebRequest.DefaultWebProxy.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials;
                    using (HttpWebResponse response = (HttpWebResponse)request.GetResponse())
                    using (Stream stream = response.GetResponseStream())
                    using (StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(stream))
                    {
                        html = reader.ReadToEnd();
                    }
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    html = ex.Message+"\n"+ex.StackTrace + "\n" + ex.InnerException + "\n" + ex.InnerException.InnerException;
                }

return html;
            }

this is the feed url 

var url = "http://www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/rss-feed";

here is part of my web.config file

<system.net>
        <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" />
    </system.net>

Please what am i missing?

Easy

Monday, October 29, 2018 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you try adding below one line code after HttpWebRequest and check

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol |= SecurityProtocolType.Tls11 | SecurityProtocolType.Tls12;

Cheers,

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 1:48 AM
  • After adding the line, i still get exactly the same error after i publish to the web server, but its fine in localhost

Easy

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Hi EasyHero,

According to your description, your issue is related about web service, so I suggest you can ask your question at Web Service forum for professional help.

https://forums.asp.net/28.aspx

Thank you for participating in the forum activities.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:25 AM