none
Launching VB6 Editor after installing Visual Studio 2013 results in "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Visual Studio..." RRS feed

• Question

• I have had various versions of Visual Studio installed beside Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise for some time with no problems, most recently Visual Studio 2012 Premium.

I recently installed Visual Studio 2013 Premium, and now every time I open VB6 I get a dialog that says "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013" that shows a progress bar. After it finishes (30 seconds or so), it launches again and again and finally VB6 will open. This happens with each instance of VB6, regardless if I've already done it once and never run VS2013 in between.

If I cancel the dialog, I get this error message in a dialog: "Error 1712. One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found. Restoration will not be possible." Several more "Please wait"... dialogs will appear and if I continue to cancel, eventually I'll get the VB6 editor. It appear to work fine despite the error messages.

It seems to me that the VS2013 installer flagged some dll's or other files to be rolled back whenever starting VB6. It doesn't appear to be necessary, and I'd like to avoid playing the "Please wait" wack-a-cancel-button game before launching each instance of VB6 (or waiting several minutes for no reason). So how do I fix this?

Note: I've seen something similar happen in Outlook on a different PC when upgrading from 2010 to 2013. The same sort of "Please wait"... dialog would appear each time I opened Outlook. Judging by the "similar" questions that popped up when entering this forum post, I'd say this is a general problem with upgrading older versions or installing newer versions of major Microsoft software side-by-side.

/* Don Reynolds */

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:05 PM

Answers

• I found the answer!

I was having the exact same issue, and I was search for a solution and I happened across the following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4b0fd38-f4f9-41ea-bd8d-834203a175d2/building-visual-studio-2010-project-triggers-please-wait-while-windows-configures-visual-studio?forum=vssetup&prof=required

Scroll a small bit down, and there is a post by Barry Wang explaining that you need to use event viewer to find out what is missing. Anyway, I opened event viewer, then open VS 6, then hit refresh in the event viewer (under Windows Logs -> Application) and saw a warning message from MsiInstaller. It gave me the following message:

Detection of product '{9C593464-7F2F-37B3-89F8-7E894E3B09EA}', feature 'Visual_Studio_Professional_x86_enu', component '{E3FF99AA-78B9-4A06-8A74-869E9F65E1FE}' failed.  The resource 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\URTInstallPath_GAC\' does not exist.

I opened an elevated command prompt, I navigated to the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder and verified that 'URTInstallPath_GAC' didn't exist, and then I did "md URTInstallPath_GAC".

Closed and reopened VS 6, and it instantly opened - no "Please wait" message.

Now this may or may not be the same problem you are having (problem is - I have had it happen on two separate computers now with VS 6 and VS 2013 installed), but it should point you in the right direction. In fact, you should be able to use the Event Viewer for anytime the "Please wait" message shows up for any application, and then once there find out what is really missing.

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:18 PM
  • You should only run the VB6 IDE in a dedicated, isolated environment like a VM.  It's been out of support for a very long time.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:07 PM

All replies

• You should only run the VB6 IDE in a dedicated, isolated environment like a VM.  It's been out of support for a very long time.

David

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Spinning up a VM would be just as annoying and take just as long as cancelling out of unnecessary dialogs that have no affect whatsoever on the system.

In fact, it would be 10 times worse because you'd have an entirely separate environment to manage, update, and configure, plus it would hog up resources of the host system.

VB6 worked fine with Visual Studio 2012 without annoying time consuming dialogs, and continues to work fine with 2013 after annoying dialogs that do nothing.

There has to be a mechanism that is causing this that can be overridden. As I've said, it even happens with Office and other Microsoft products as well. I've never seen a single answer that talks about how and why this happens and what that dialog is actually doing. That would be the answer I'd like to see.

/* Don Reynolds */

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:44 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid its hard for me to give this question an answer for you. You may already know that VB 6.0 is not longer supported so it is even so hard for me to involve anyone here to help on this issue. I do not have any channel about this.

So in my mind, I'd recommend you refer to David's post about this issue.

Well, I just think maybe you can try report it here https://connect.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:33 AM
  • I'm sure someone at the company who wrote the code that causes this dialog to appear, not just in my cases of Outlook 2010-2013 and VB6-VS2013, but to many others in various Visual Studio versions throughout time, as evident by the posts displayed before me when I entered mine, can tell us what triggers it to appear and what it is trying to do for no apparent reason and with no apparent affect, other than to waste the time of developers and fans and even evangelists of Microsoft and its platforms, like myself. I'd like nothing more than to abandon VB6, but unfortunately there is a mountain of legacy code to support out there.

/* Don Reynolds */

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:49 AM
  • Yes I agree with you. I just think we may get some info from Yammar. You can try access http://www.yammar.co.uk/ and join Visual Studio public group and ask this question. Some partners are from product group and I think they can share us some info.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Note: Although marked as an answer, this is a deflection, and in no way helpful or useful. Blaming it on VB6 being outdated when VS2013 is what caused the issue is also a deflection. This same problem occurs in Microsoft products that are not older, like Outlook 2013, as well.

There is a mechanism involving the windows installer that tries to do some sort of environment rollback or something like that, which is not necessary because cancelling the operation has no effect on running the app.

/* Don Reynolds */

Friday, December 6, 2013 2:51 PM
  • I found the answer!

I was having the exact same issue, and I was search for a solution and I happened across the following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4b0fd38-f4f9-41ea-bd8d-834203a175d2/building-visual-studio-2010-project-triggers-please-wait-while-windows-configures-visual-studio?forum=vssetup&prof=required

Scroll a small bit down, and there is a post by Barry Wang explaining that you need to use event viewer to find out what is missing. Anyway, I opened event viewer, then open VS 6, then hit refresh in the event viewer (under Windows Logs -> Application) and saw a warning message from MsiInstaller. It gave me the following message:

Detection of product '{9C593464-7F2F-37B3-89F8-7E894E3B09EA}', feature 'Visual_Studio_Professional_x86_enu', component '{E3FF99AA-78B9-4A06-8A74-869E9F65E1FE}' failed.  The resource 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\URTInstallPath_GAC\' does not exist.

I opened an elevated command prompt, I navigated to the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder and verified that 'URTInstallPath_GAC' didn't exist, and then I did "md URTInstallPath_GAC".

Closed and reopened VS 6, and it instantly opened - no "Please wait" message.

Now this may or may not be the same problem you are having (problem is - I have had it happen on two separate computers now with VS 6 and VS 2013 installed), but it should point you in the right direction. In fact, you should be able to use the Event Viewer for anytime the "Please wait" message shows up for any application, and then once there find out what is really missing.

Monday, January 20, 2014 11:18 PM
  • That is very useful, unlike the feedback received thus far. Thankfully I haven't had to use VB6 in a while, but if I do I'll try to chase down the Event and post a follow up. Thank you!

/* Don Reynolds */

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:21 AM
  • This solved the issue for me. Thank you very much. I get that Visual Studio 6 is not supported but at the same time some of us are forced to support legacy applications that our business owners have no will to want to invest in to upgrade because they work fine and run the business. If it were up to me I'd replace this application with a new shiny one written in C#.
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:56 PM
  • David,

Please unmark your reply as the answer.  This type of answer from MS, time after time, is infuriating and dishonest.

I am having the same issue with VS 2013 and Access 2010/Outlook 2010 which are, as I hope you know, not out of support.

This is a VS 2013 issue in conflict with something in common with VB6 and VBA7.  Please find out what that is, along with a fix, and post the answer here.

The fix shown below about a missing folder URTInstallPath_GAC did not work for me.

Dan

DanW52

Saturday, March 1, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Did you even check the Event Viewer?

My answer is not the folder is going to be missing on your setup. It was on mine and creating it fixed for me. My answer is that the EventViewer can tell you what it is trying (and failing) to fix. If you read the bottom part of my post you would have seen that:

Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:25 PM
  • For me it was looking for "O:". "O:" was a partition I no-longer have. I "fixed" the problem by creating "O:". The "correct" solution would be to stop VB6 from looking for resources it doesn't need.

Larry 

Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:57 AM
  • Brilliant.  Thanks.  Found this looking for answer to the same problem.  Just made that "URTInstallPath_GAC" folder via Windows Explorer - problem gone.  Thanks again!
    Friday, October 3, 2014 6:35 PM
  • All the more reason that it shouldn't break.  Some of us are still struggling with legacy applications.

You might want to install VS2013 for Source Control or maybe Build.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Brilliant. Fixed it for me. Saved me a lot of time trawling though Google.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Merlin-UK, you said "Brilliant...." 

To which workaround are you referring to?

There are a whole lot of posts up there!

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:59 PM
  • Thank you for this! It was driving me nuts but I tried your answer and it resolved the issue immediately. Thank you so much.
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:00 PM
  • I opened an elevated command prompt, I navigated to the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder and verified that 'URTInstallPath_GAC' didn't exist, and then I did "md URTInstallPath_GAC".

Thank you very much for the solution.
    Things are back to normal using VB6 now after installing Visual Studio 2013.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Like DanW52, I am using Access 2010 as well as Excel 2010 and kept getting this annoying dialog every time I'd tried to go to the VB Editor in either program.  I had installed VS 2013 recently.  Creating the URTInstallPath_GAC folder solved the problem for me.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:41 PM
  • Just got to add my thanks for this solution. I have had exactly the same problem for a while now and tried a number of more drastic options before finding this thread which has solved it for me. It was starting to become very annoying!
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:55 PM
  • having the same problem, and this solution works for me
    thanks
    Monday, September 28, 2015 10:38 PM
  • The answer proposed: Creating the directory 
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\URTInstallPath_GAC
    also worked for me.  Thanks to TheeBOBJohnson for finding and posting.

I am in the business of helping companies rewrite their VB6 applications in .NET. Most of the applications I work with are at least 200K LOC and some of them are huge: millions of lines of code, thousands of files, and dozens of inter-related VBPs. They also tend to depend on a wide variety of unsupported third-party COM components.  Rewriting these from scratch is simply not feasible -- there are just too many functional details.  You really need to be able to study the code, and it helps to be able to run/debug it too. 

Despite VB6 being officially unsupported, it is a good thing that MS and the community keeps finding ways to get VB6 up and running reliably on the new OS's.  The VB6 IDE remains an essential tool for understanding VB6 systems and cash in the intellectual capital they contain.
    Sunday, March 13, 2016 4:16 PM
  • >The VB6 IDE remains an essential tool for understanding VB6 systems and cash in the intellectual capital they contain.

Yes. But new incompatibilities with Windows and platform components may continue to appear.  There is a work-around for this one.  Great.

But the only reliable, long-term solution for running the VB6 IDE is to use a virtual machine perhaps running an older version of Windows in a known-good configuration.

Also note that the VB6 runtime remains a supported part of Windows.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708

David

Sunday, March 13, 2016 6:05 PM
  • >The VB6 IDE remains an essential tool for understanding VB6 systems and cash in the intellectual capital they contain.

Yes. But new incompatibilities with Windows and platform components may continue to appear.  There is a work-around for this one.  Great.

But the only reliable, long-term solution for running the VB6 IDE is to use a virtual machine perhaps running an older version of Windows in a known-good configuration.

Also note that the VB6 runtime remains a supported part of Windows.

There is a utility to install the VB6 programming IDE on Windows 7, 8 and 10.
    It doesn't need to be installed in a VM.

" http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Articles/VB60/VisualStudio6Installer/tabid/93/language/en-US/Default.aspx "

Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:54 AM
  • In my case, I just waited for the op to complete once, and it never came back.
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Thanks TheeBOBJohnson.

This worked for me as well and I got exposed to the Windows Event Viewer which - why haven't I been using this more in the past?!

I'm curious as to why creating the path solved the issue, but I'll take it.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:58 PM
  • The "fix" for me was similar. In my case it was looking for  F:,  probably the  CD drive letter that I installed from.  F drive isn't there any more and thus the error.  In my case I changed the drive letter on a secondary data drive from  D: to F: and problem is gone.    And yeah, we all know  VB6 is old, but doesn't mean we still don't use/need it,  but I digress..

BB

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:25 PM