none
Visual Studio Common errors Meta data file couldn't found the dll. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to Rebuild the solution in Visual Studio 2016 ,it throws an errors like below.

"Meta data file .dll couldn't found" .

I have tried with many more solutions which is suggested from Google , But it didn't work for me.

Could you please any one suggest me in this regard and tell me the root cause for the error.

Thanks ,

Pavan

Monday, August 19, 2019 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Pavanbujji555,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

As far as I know, this error often means that the dll could not run in the environment of the specific project. Please try to follow the steps to troubleshot it:

-- Did you use nuget package for one project? If so,Please check if the nuget package could be run in the specific environment, such as target framework, platform target

-- Are the projects referred by each other in one solution? If so, please check if the environment is same or the different frameworks are compatible. Or try to use lower framework for your dll which is referred.

-- Please try to download the developer package for specified framework, for example, the framework 4.6.1 is corresponding to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 Developer Pack

If it persists, could you provide below information to help us analysis this issue better:

1. what is your visual studio version?(2015 or 2017). As far as I know, it seems that visual studio doesn't have a version for 2016. 

2. what is the project type?

3. Could you share the suggestions you have tried? it will help us to exclude some possibilities.

Look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hi Pavanbujji555,

Did you refer some items like user control? It seems that VS does not build the project which is referenced. If so, please follow these steps :

1. Right click on the solution and click Properties.
    2. Click Configuration on the left.
    3. Make sure the check box under "Build" for the project it can't find is checked. If it is already checked, uncheck, hit apply and check the boxes again.
    4. (Optional) You had to do it for both Release and Debug modes on the solution properties.

More information you can refer to this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1421862/metadata-file-dll-could-not-be-found

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, August 23, 2019 9:23 AM