none
Design window often shows nothing - need to restart RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a frustrating issue with visual studio 2010 with my winforms application. Basically, the designer (where I drag controls around on the designer) is not very reliable.

Generally, when I first open my solution up in VS2010, all is good. I can open up the designer for the applications forms, change them. If I then run the application, and then stop it, the designer window's that I had opened no longer show anything - they are completely blank. The designer will work fine for other windows that were not open at the time. To get the windows that were open working again, it is a black magic:

• Sometimes just closing them down reopening will work.
    • Sometimes i need to close them down, recompile the whole application, then reopening will work.
    • Sometimes I need to close them down, close the solution, reopen the solution, and reopening the forms works.

Sometimes I see a message, sometimes it is all white. When I do see a message, it is something like this:

"The designer loader did not provide a root component but has not indicated why. "

Can anyone give me an idea why this is happening? Is there anything I can do about it?

A bit of extra information:

• Visual studio 2010.
    • Winforms app. Kind of large (Numerous projects within the solution)
    • .net 2.0
    • 32 bit.
    • Development machine is 64bit windows 7.
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 11:23 AM

Answers

• Thanks Jack,

I'm already using SP1 - that was something I tried a year or so back (this is a long standing issue).

I have tried deleting various files in the past - I forget if it was the .suo file or not though.

I am now trying what is suggested here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3620901/vs-2010-error-when-opening-user-control-form-with-designer .

This suggests using the DesignMode property in event handles and method overrides, to ensure they are only called during execution (not during design). I've done this a little now, with mixed success. The forms designer still goes blank from time to time, but flicking to another form and back usually fixes it.

Not sure if this is the solution quite yet - I'm still open to other solutions.

Monday, May 26, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi fweeee,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

If possible, you could install VS2010 SP1, check it again.

Actually I met this issue before, if I restart the VS and reopen it, it would work well. I doubt that VS met an issue when it loads this project files.

Another suggestion is that you could delete .suo file in your project folder, and then re-open your project file (.xxproj), check it again.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 26, 2014 8:44 AM
  • Thanks Jack,

I'm already using SP1 - that was something I tried a year or so back (this is a long standing issue).

I have tried deleting various files in the past - I forget if it was the .suo file or not though.

I am now trying what is suggested here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3620901/vs-2010-error-when-opening-user-control-form-with-designer .

This suggests using the DesignMode property in event handles and method overrides, to ensure they are only called during execution (not during design). I've done this a little now, with mixed success. The forms designer still goes blank from time to time, but flicking to another form and back usually fixes it.

Not sure if this is the solution quite yet - I'm still open to other solutions.

Monday, May 26, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Hi fweeee,

Thanks for your friendly response:)

Since it works well now, it would be a better solution for this issue, I mark it as the answer and thank you for sharing your solutions here.

In addition, if other members have other good solutions, I will check it if there are any updates in this case, you could also share your opinion. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:31 AM