none
WPF written brand new or on top of existing/using WinForms RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Anyone knows?

Is the implementation of WPF written completely from scratch so it doesn't share the common problems found in WinForms controls?

Thanks,
    Aw
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:52 PM

Answers

• Unlike WinForms, WPF does not use the Win32 API.  It was written from scratch.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Only in theory. In reality it _does_ use Win32, but only for top-level windows. Everything within a WPF window, all controls and elements, are "windowless" from a win32 perspective and are handled entirely by WPF. But the top-level window is an hwnd-based window just like we're all used to.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:36 PM

All replies

• No one knows?

Thanks,
    Aw

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

From scratch I believe.  You might want to be more specific on what problems you are referring to.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Unlike WinForms, WPF does not use the Win32 API.  It was written from scratch.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Great! I meant problems like when you have a treeview node that has a bigger font than the others, it's text is cropped both horizontally and vertically. So you either have to draw them yourself or increase the font size, but this makes the smaller nodes take up the same screen space which is a waste IMO. Lots more that I experienced and are just the way it's, and most likely will not get fixed.

So since it doesn't use the Win32 API, can one assume it's platform agnostic?

Thanks,
    Aw
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Only in theory. In reality it _does_ use Win32, but only for top-level windows. Everything within a WPF window, all controls and elements, are "windowless" from a win32 perspective and are handled entirely by WPF. But the top-level window is an hwnd-based window just like we're all used to.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Thanks Tim.

Aw
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:17 PM