none
What is the best approach to move a single project from tfs 2015 to tfs 2017 (different server)

Question

• I have 2 different tfs server setup , one runs with tfs 2015 other with tfs 2017. I need to move a specific project from 2015 to the 2017 instance. Please guide me with the best approach that we can go with...
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi jnagala,

You could not move a single project from TFS 2015 to TFS 2017 directly. You need to spilt the project to a new collection in TFS 2015 first, then move the collection to TFS 2017.

Spilt the team project,please refer to this link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/split-team-project-collection

Move the new collection to TFS 2017 following next steps,

1. Detach the collection
    2. Back up the collection database
    3. Move the collection database
    4. Attach the collection
    5. Configure the moved team project collection
    6. Configure projects

For more information of Moving a team project collection, please refer to this link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/move-project-collection#detach-coll

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 07, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Thank you Yan, for the above response, 

Yes, performed the same operation.,

1. Detach the collection
    2. Back up the collection database
    3. Move the collection database
    4. Attach the collection
    5. Configure the moved team project collection
    6. Configure projects

Got the projects moved to the new instance.

Monday, June 05, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi jnagala,

As you have resolved your problem, could you please mark the reply I proposed above for this thread. This is will be beneficial for other communities who have similar issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 1:22 AM