none
Not all steps in a web test are executed when they are run in a load test RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to get our load test working in Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 but am running into multiple problems.

One of the problems I've run into is that when played back as part of a load test, even though the test results show that all runs of a web test passed, there were some steps in the web test that were not executed.

In this example I'm testing a User Group which has multiple tabs with different fields on each of them (e.g. tab 1 can have the User Group ID  and tab 2 can contain the security rights for that user group). 

Basically the steps are to create and save a user group.  Then edit the user group, change to a different tab and modify that particular tab for the user group.  Then finally delete the record. 

I'm seeing that the steps to edit and delete the record are not being executed.  Again, the tests do not show up as failing in the load test results so I'm unsure how to go about dealing with this issue.

My load test contains 13 web tests (distribution percentage varies) using 25 users and runs for 10 minutes and it is running against our web app using IE10.

Note:  I did try recording a test in Fiddler and imported it as a web test into VSU and that test also had issues with editing and deleting a record.

Any ideas?

• Edited by emiko_san Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi emiko_san,

>>When I stepped thru the web test in debug, I couldn't see the physical Edit and Delete in the run itself. 

Could you please provide us a screenshot about all requests include the edit or delete step in web test like my screenshot? To really understanding this issue, we need to check whether you got different requests in your web test.

According to my screenshot, I doubt that there are two possible reasons for this issue:

(1)    It doesn’t record new requests when your edit and delete steps, I mean that maybe it doesn’t have an HTTP request/response interactive. For example, it just has one request A, it doesn’t record two new request as the B and C like my screenshot when you edit and delete steps.

(a) We know that web test is used to test if a server responses correctly and the request is consistent with what we expected. So you need to check your edit and delete perform steps if they have a client and server http interactive.

(2)    It may be that when you edit or delete the steps, the request jumped into same page such as the A request->A request->A request, I mean that the three requests have the same URL.

(a)    If so, one workaround is that you could try to add an Extraction Rule in web request to verify that a Web application is working correctly by extracting data from the responses to Web requests, for example:

Step1: After you record your edit step, you remember an edited text value and the editing page request URL.

Step2: You could find previous corresponding edit page request URL and add an extract text value on it.

Step3: After you have been added the Extraction Rule to web test, you run it.

Step4: You could click the add Extraction Rule request in the Web Performance Test Results Viewer and then you could check the text value form the context or details if it is extracted.

About how to add an Extraction Rule to a Web Performance Test.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182545(v=vs.110).aspx

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hi emiko_san,

Load test is a stress test, it is used to simulate the system resource utilization of a server and test how many users the application can handle before performance is compromised and test how much load the hardware can handle before the recourse utilization is exceeded.

>>One of the problems I've run into is that when played back as part of a load test, even though the test results show that all runs of a web test passed, there were some steps in the web test that were not executed.

After you are running web test, you see that the steps to edit and delete the record are not being executed. If you haven’t see these steps in web test, these steps will not occur in the load test. So I think it is not related to the load test.

>> Basically the steps are to create and save a user group.  Then edit the user group, change to a different tab and modify that particular tab for the user group.  Then finally delete the record. 

Could you please tell me if you want to record the request or a control in web page?

Because web test is used to test if a server responses correctly and the request is consistent with what we expected.

If you are record the request, you can click your request and view the result from the Web Browser after you run the web test. So if you want to see the edit step and delete step if they are executed by the web browser window.

Reference:

If you want to record the action like edit or delete control in a web page, I suggest you’d better use Coded UI Test to record control.

About how to use Coded UI Test to record a web page control.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286681(v=vs.100).aspx

If I have misunderstood this issue, please tell us more detail information about the issue so that we will further look at it and provide better solution.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:16 AM
  • Actually, from what I'm seeing, I believe it could possibly be related to running the web test as part of the load test.  When I run the web test by itself, it works fine.  I even ran the web test by itself in debug and verified in our product that the record was modified and then deleted.

I'm recording Web Performance Tests since we need to determine the performance of our web app.  I don't need to know that the fields are populated with the correct data so I don't believe the Coded UI test would be appropriate for our needs.

I just thought about it and don't know if it makes a huge difference but the edit and delete objects are links and not buttons.  When I look thru the code in the web test, it's really hard for me to figure out exactly what the code is doing around those steps.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:29 PM
  • Hi emiko_san,

Thanks for your reply.

>> When I run the web test by itself, it works fine. 

Do you mean that you could see the edit step and delete step web request when you run the web test?

If yes, could you please tell us where you see the error? Please provide us a screenshot.

Generally, if your web tests work fine, but it doesn’t work in load test. I suggest you can try to set the Save Log On Test Failure->True in Run Setting from Load Test Wizard. It could help you log your web test error information in load test.

About how to log your web test error information in load test, you could refer to the following steps.

Step1: Running load test

Step2: if there have any error, please click the Tables and view the error information in load test.

Step3: After you link to the tables, you can click the Failed column.

Step4: Click the TestLog link, it will help you link to web test’s web request.

If the above suggestion don’t help you, please provide us about the error’s detail information. You’d better provide us a screenshot about your issue.

Best Regards,

Monday, July 28, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Hi Tina-Shi,

When I stepped thru the web test in debug, I couldn't see the physical Edit and Delete in the run itself.  I logged into our system and navigated to the web page to access record.  After the test performed the Edit, I manually edited the record and verified that it was modified, then closed it.  I then continued stepping thru the test until after the delete.  I navigated to the web page again and verified that the record no longer existed.  No errors were received during the run.

As for the Load Test configuration, by default, for us anyway, the Save Log On Failure is always set to True.  I've been using the logs to get to the ones with errors to try to figure out why I keep getting these errors.  I'm beginning to suspect this Edit/Delete issue may have something to do with some of the errors. 

I don't know what to send you.  There are no errors received when it skips the Edit and Delete steps, therefore there are no links to a log file to review.

As I've mentioned before, the test just does not perform the actions.  It's also not very consistent.  Sometimes it may delete (I have serious doubts that it's editing) a couple of the records and leaves a few behind, and other times it won't edit or delete any of them.

For example, the load test results shows that the web performance test for User Groups was executed 5 times and that the request passed 5 times.  I then open the Load Test Errors page, if any errors exist, and there are no User Groups errors.  I then log into our product and navigate to where the User Group records are at.  Sometimes I'll see all 5 records still exists and other times I may see 1 record.  I'll edit the records and verify whether or not they were edited which they were not.

I don't know what else to do or tell you.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Hi emiko_san,

>>When I stepped thru the web test in debug, I couldn't see the physical Edit and Delete in the run itself. 

Could you please provide us a screenshot about all requests include the edit or delete step in web test like my screenshot? To really understanding this issue, we need to check whether you got different requests in your web test.

According to my screenshot, I doubt that there are two possible reasons for this issue:

(1)    It doesn’t record new requests when your edit and delete steps, I mean that maybe it doesn’t have an HTTP request/response interactive. For example, it just has one request A, it doesn’t record two new request as the B and C like my screenshot when you edit and delete steps.

(a) We know that web test is used to test if a server responses correctly and the request is consistent with what we expected. So you need to check your edit and delete perform steps if they have a client and server http interactive.

(2)    It may be that when you edit or delete the steps, the request jumped into same page such as the A request->A request->A request, I mean that the three requests have the same URL.

(a)    If so, one workaround is that you could try to add an Extraction Rule in web request to verify that a Web application is working correctly by extracting data from the responses to Web requests, for example:

Step1: After you record your edit step, you remember an edited text value and the editing page request URL.

Step2: You could find previous corresponding edit page request URL and add an extract text value on it.

Step3: After you have been added the Extraction Rule to web test, you run it.

Step4: You could click the add Extraction Rule request in the Web Performance Test Results Viewer and then you could check the text value form the context or details if it is extracted.

About how to add an Extraction Rule to a Web Performance Test.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182545(v=vs.110).aspx

Best Regards,

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Hi emiko_san,

Could you please tell us what about this problem now?

If you have been solved the issue, would you mind sharing us the solution here?

If no, please provide us more detail information about the issue now?

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 4, 2014 10:22 AM