none
Office 2003 PIA not installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing a Word 2003 Add-in in Visual Studio 2008.

I have made use of the default setup project provided for a Word 2003 Add-in in Visual Studio. Added SetSecurity Project for granting permissions of the assemblies on client computer.

I added the following prerequisites:

1. .Net Framework 2.0 (x86)

2. Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime

3. Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies.

The redistributables VSTO2005SE and Office2003PIAs are added to the prerequisites using the Bootstrap Manifest Generator (BMG).

Now when I installed the setup file on the clients computer, the .Net Framework 2.0 and the VSTO Runtime are successfully installed.

However the Office 2003 PIA installation is being started, but not progressing any more . I waited for a long time and found that its being hanged and not being installed.

Can anyone suggest what would be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Surya.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:04 AM

Answers

• Hello Surya,

For this, you could download the sample at the top of Walkthrough 1, and install it. By default, the installation path is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office SE Resources\VSTO2005SE Windows Installer Sample Version 3\" which is {SamplesDir}. The sample link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6991E869-8D5B-45F4-91E7-B527BD236F4C&displaylang=en.

To get ComponentCheck.exe, we need to compile the component checker by using cl.exe command. For more information, you could refer to Walkthrough 1 again, especially the sub title "To prepare the Office component check".

If I have mistaken this scenario, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:11 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Surya,

Are you able to install PIAs manually from here? what if you install the first two pre-req and then uncheck them from your setup? do you know if the installation is stuck in downloading or installation? also do you have another machine to try this on?

Hamed

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Hi Hamed,

Yes I am able to install PIAs manually. I have downloaded the redistributable of PIAs from the same link that you have mentioned.

what if you install the first two pre-req and then uncheck them from your setup?

No change. Installation failed.

do you know if the installation is stuck in downloading or installation?

Yes, I know that the installation os stuck in installation only not downloading. Because I found the following in install.log

Running checks for package 'Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA)', phase BeforePackage

The following properties have been set for package 'Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA)': Running checks for command 'Office2003PIA\o2003pia.msi'

Result of checks for command 'Office2003PIA\o2003pia.msi' is 'Install' 'Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA)' RunCheck result: Install Needed

Verifying file integrity of C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD7.tmp\Office2003PIA\o2003pia.msi

Verifying file hash

Installing using command 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD7.tmp\Office2003PIA\o2003pia.msi" -q '

Process exited with code 0

Status of package '.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)' after install is 'InstallSucceeded'

Status of package 'Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition (x86)' after install is 'InstallSucceeded'

Status of package 'Office 2003 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA)' after install is 'InstallFailed'

also do you have another machine to try this on?

Yes. I am testing on separate XP Operating System installed on VM Ware Workstation.

Surya.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Hello Surya,

Have you checked this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brijs/archive/2008/11/28/issue-prerequisites-packages-is-not-available-for-the-office-add-in-setup-project-developed-using-visual-studio.aspx. Wish this could help you.

If this link does not help you, you also could try to use method in Walkthrough 1. It introduce a way to copy these Office components and ComponentCheck.exe into the path "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\6.0A\BootStrapper\Packages\". 

If you have any concern for this post, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Bessie 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi Bessie,

I have gone through the Walkthrough 1. I did not understand where to get the sample files of the {sampleDir} discussed in this article. Below are the sentences in that article (Walkthrough 1).

This section requires the sample files contained in the download that accompanies this article. If you have not already installed those files, please do so now. By default, the files are installed in the following directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office SE Resources\VSTO2005SE Windows Installer Sample Version 3\ This article refers to this directory as {SamplesDir}.

Which is the download that accompanied the article containing sample files for compiling componentcheck.cpp to get componentcheck.exe?

Please tell me.

Thank you,

Surya

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Hello Surya,

For this, you could download the sample at the top of Walkthrough 1, and install it. By default, the installation path is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office SE Resources\VSTO2005SE Windows Installer Sample Version 3\" which is {SamplesDir}. The sample link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6991E869-8D5B-45F4-91E7-B527BD236F4C&displaylang=en.

To get ComponentCheck.exe, we need to compile the component checker by using cl.exe command. For more information, you could refer to Walkthrough 1 again, especially the sub title "To prepare the Office component check".

If I have mistaken this scenario, please feel free to follow up.

Best regards,
    Bessie

• Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:11 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:08 AM
  • Thank you Bessie. This solved my issue.

Surya.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:30 PM