none
Debug Watch Error CXX0017 symbol not found - Beginner

Question

• Hello all, Im sorry to be re-treading the same old ground (there are other forum posts on this subject but i can't understand them/take what they said and get mine to work) but i have a problem with the Watch function of Visual C++ 2008.

The problem is this, i set a watch on a variable... any variable ... and in the value collum i recieve "CXX0017:Error:symbol "xxx" not found" I have tried this with many different variables and i get the same result. 

I even set up new test variables like this.

float Watchtest = 0.0;

// breakpoint here

Watchtest = 2.5;

And i get the same error message.

I have set up my watch following these instructions @

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0taedcee(VS.80).aspx

I have looked at the error help for this error message @

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7cw9d870(VS.71).aspx

And from what i can understand i am doing it right.

I have also looked around other forum posts such as

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/vcgeneral/thread/1B98DF39-DABB-4094-80C7-53FC1B2E8124?prof=required

the answer being "I think you are building in release, or without debug info, or optimization is turned on in debug mode." 

I am Building my project in debug mode, although i do not know how to find out if i am building without debug info or if optimization is turned on/off.

If this is the reasons can someone please explain to a beginner how to change these debug settings, or if this is not the reason can someone please tell me the actual reason as too why this is not working please.

Weirdly this error only happens when i run VC++ 2008  in Administrator mode, which i am forced to do when i open this project... an FMOD example project, which i am tweaking, this project was 2005 which i then upgraded to 2008

Thanks

Aiden

Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:06 PM

All replies

• Would you please disable compile-time optimization by right-clicking your project, select Properties -> Configuration Properites -> C/C++ -> Optimization -> Optimization: Disabled(/Od), you may also enable Generate Map File by selecting Properties -> Configuration Properites -> Linker-> Debugging-> Generate Map File:Yes(/MAP)

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, April 11, 2011 6:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by eryang Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Thanks for the response, unfortunetely

I have changed both of these settings in the way you suggested.

Still the same problem occurs.. :(

Any other ideas?

Thanks A

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:44 AM
  • I have the same issue with VS 2010. MAP is on, Optimization is OFF, Generate Debug Info is ON. I can't check values of local variables declared inside {...} block. 
    if (condition) 
    {
    some code 
    }
    else
    {
    variables definitions
    variables usage // can't check value when debugging inside this block
    }

But variables declared outside this are visible

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:12 AM
  • I see this problem with VS2010 but only if I have some floating point operation that will happen within the code block!!

If I get rid of the floating point (integer aprrx) then the symbols are visible

Tim
    Monday, August 08, 2011 7:38 PM