"Unable to start the Windows Phone Emulator" in Windows 10 Home (I can't install Hyper-V). Alternatives to Hyper-V? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I thought I could develop UWP apps in it. I have installed VS Commnity 2015 and phone emulators, but I get this error when I run my apps (Windows Phone 8.1 emulator in this case):

Unable to start the Windows Phone Emulator
    Windows Phone Emulator requires Hyper-V. Your computer is missing the following pre-requisites required to run Hyper-V:
    - Windows 8 Professional (64-bit)

With this link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=245903

And I can see that Hyper-V can't be installed in my laptop with Windows 10. Is there any alternative to this, without Windows 10 Professional upgrade?

• Moved by Jiayi Li Monday, November 9, 2015 4:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon 123,

Since you use the Windows 10 home version, but to install the Hyper-V, we need to have the Windows 10 Pro or higher version, so I'm afraid that your Environment doesn't meet the requirements. You need to install the high windows version.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Jon 123 Monday, November 9, 2015 7:02 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 4:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon 123,

This forum is about Visual Studio Setup and Installation.

Your issue would be related to visual studio general, I help you move this case to Visual Studio General Questions forum for dedicated support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 9, 2015 4:37 AM
  • Hi Jon 123,

Since you use the Windows 10 home version, but to install the Hyper-V, we need to have the Windows 10 Pro or higher version, so I'm afraid that your Environment doesn't meet the requirements. You need to install the high windows version.

Best Regards,

Jack

• Marked as answer by Jon 123 Monday, November 9, 2015 7:02 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I have exactly the same problem as Jon. To upgrade to Windows 10 Pro or higher version, do I have to pay for it? It's kind of ridiculous. Microsoft wants more developers for their windows phone. They took the effort to release the visual studio community for free (great!). Because of that, a beginner like me wants to learn how to program my windows phone. But I cannot even install an emulator on my windows 10 home. What's going on here? Why so many versions of windows and so many restrictions for someone who just wants to build a app for windows phone.

Do you know whom I can write to to complain about this situation?

Jay

• Edited by eijoac Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Hi Jay,

>>To upgrade to Windows 10 Pro or higher version, do I have to pay for it?

If you want to know more about the windows 10, you could discuss this issue with the windows expert here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads

You know that the windows has his own support site.

Like my previous reply, to develop the windows phone app in windows 10, it would have the specific requirement for the Environment/system. If you really want to know more detailed requirements or you met any windows phone developing issue, this forum would be better for you:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/home?forum=wpdevelop

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:08 AM

• disappointed,

Time to say good bye for window phone app development. 

My system also in win 10 home, I was not aware of we could not run emulator in win 10 home. so I wasted almost 10Gb bandwidth, time and  space. 

thanks,

Sunday, January 3, 2016 9:21 AM