none
the breakpoint will not currently be hit. no symbols have been added for this document

Question

• dear Experts,

I am using Vs 2017 community edition.

i want to debug a sql stored procedure. bue getting above hint on breakpoint set on stored procedure.

can some body guide from where and which symbols are to be loaded to unable stored procedure debugging from within vs2017

Symbolsproject properties debug stored procedure to debug

Saturday, May 25, 2019 4:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Suhil Agarwal,

Sorry for delay in reply.

As far as I know, the symbols are saved in the .pdb file, and the error seems that there is no symbols in the .pdb file or the file is not the specified file. Please follow below steps to troubleshoot it:

#1 Please debugging your project, open Debug/Windows/Modules window

#2 right-click the assembly you need to run, then Load Symbol and wait for seconds to load the file.

#3 If the Symbols has been loaded, please select the Symbol load information... to check if the directory of .pdb file is right. If not, please delete it, and do #2 step

After that, if this issue persists, please delete all Breakpoints in the Debug menu, then reset them.

Note: it is to refresh your Visual Studio setting file of your project. from this simliar issue

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 27, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Thanks Dylan Zhu,

all the breakpoint removed ans again set to only stored procedured to be debugged

almost all symbols from microsoft servers are loaded ,

but still breakpoint will not be heat is shown on dbo.add_do_billadvice which i want to debug

can some one help to debug it

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:53 AM
  • Hi Sushil Agarwal,

Thank you for reply.

After research, I find a similar issue from stack overflow, please follow the steps below to troubleshoot it:

1. Run Visual Studio (community, in my case) as Administrator (for me, debugging a stored proc from VS only works when VS is run as an admin)

2. Go to the Solution Explorer, right click on your project and go to properties.

3. Click on the Web tab and make sure that SQL Server is checked. Save and close.

4. Click on the View menu, then on SQL Server Object Explorer.

5. In the SQL Server Object Explorer, expand SQL Server and if you don't see your SQL Server, right

6. click on SQL Server and add it.

7. Right click on the SQL Server that you just added and make sure that both Application Debugging and Allow SQL/CLR Debugging are checked.

8. Expand your SQL Server instance that you added and find the stored procedure of interest.

9. Right click that SP and click View Code.

10. Put a break point where you wish.

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 9:54 AM
  • still i am not able to debug sp
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Hi Sushil Agarwal,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Could you hit the breakpoint on other code line? And I will appreciate that you could share some code or a sample to help us analysis this issue.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:47 AM
  • all break point are met except the stored procedure ones.

at the program start only it shows symols are not loaded and break point will not be hit.

i have attached almost all symbols were loaded. still which symbol it needs to debug stored procesure is not understood.

shorly i will make a small sample having adventureworks database to test and submit you

thanks for your valuable time n effort

Thursday, June 6, 2019 12:37 PM
  • Hi Suhil Agarwal,

Sorry for bothering you.

What happened to the sample? If it is completed, please feel free to contact us. And I will download and test in my side, then provide a solution as soon as possible.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Dylan Zhu,

i am really sorry for my problem you have to remind.

No Symbols Loaded Debug Issue

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 11:50 AM
  • Hi Sushi Agarwal,

Thank you for sharing.

I have a try to download and test in my side, it could work normally. It seems that the related options are not set in your visual studio. 

So I share an export a vssettings file for debugging setting via one drive. After back up your settings, please download and import your visual studio, and then try to set break points in your project.

Note: Tools/Import and Export settings.../Import selected environment settings

Hope it could work.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Thanks Dylan-Zhu,

after loading the vssettings file and starting vs2017 a fresh 

the problem is still persisting

is it due to vs version i am using ?

• Edited by Sushil Agarwal Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:34 PM additional info
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:31 PM
  • Hi Sushil Agarwal,

Thank you for mentioning.

The previous version of my visual studio is VS 2017 enterprise, then I use vs2017 community to do this , please check related options from the image below:

Hope it could work.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:16 AM
  • Hi Dylan-ZHU,

Still same problem.

two settings at the bottom 

Load debug Symbols in external process (native only)

bring visual studio to the foreground when breaking in debugger are not avilable in my version.

i had no options to set them

Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:41 PM
  • Hi Sushil Agarwal,

Thank you for feedback.

In the project properties, please confirm to enable the "Enable SQL Server debugging" under the Debug tab.

And I find one related video in YOUTUBE, maybe it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Note: This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. 

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet

Friday, June 14, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hi Dylan-ZHU,

i had seen the video earlier also.

but still which symbols are missing and how to load them is not understood.

• Edited by Sushil Agarwal Friday, June 14, 2019 10:33 AM speeling wrong
    Friday, June 14, 2019 10:32 AM