none
VS will not start or reinstall - multiple errors RRS feed

• Question

• UPDATE: I have output from the VS log collector collect.exe - if any output from that is useful, let me know and i can include it in a reply. Thanks!

A few weeks ago I was debugging a project with a coworker and were getting some weird errors. After googling around we found a post suggesting we try deleting some files from a windows .Net directory. (unfortunately dont recall exactly which directory this was)

This broke all installations of visual studio on my machine. 2013, 2015, 2017 all throw errors when trying to start the applications. I will focus on the 2017 errors below.

This is the error i receive when attempting to launch VS17

Could not start visual studio due to an error.
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException:
    Configuration system failed to initialize
    InnerException -
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException:
    Unrecognized configuration section startup.
    (C:\Users\pdobson\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_2f91301f\devenv.exe.config line 13)

Other times, the error show is this:

StreamJsonrpc.Remoteinvocationexception: request locate failed with message: hub hot 'desktopClr.x86', PID: 14892 exited. code:'3762504530'

When attempting to reinstall visual studio 17, i get error:
    "Couldnt install Microsoft.VisualStudio.AspNetDiagnosticPack.Msi"

Clearly i deleted something i shouldnt have. Anyone have any insights on how i could go about reinstalling all windows' .net includes?

Monday, July 29, 2019 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I think maybe what you deleted or modified is the file hidden deeply in the VS structure. So it broke the VS and we can't find details info for it. In this situation, I suggest you can try to repair or reinstall it.

>>When attempting to reinstall visual studio 17, i get error:

Hi friend, have you tried to use VS installer to repair the VS IDE, can it help?

Also. as the error Microsoft.VisualStudio.AspNetDiagnosticPack.Msi seems to be similar to this issue, it already has a fix, please try updating your VS2017 to latest 15.9.14 to check if it helps.

Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:34 AM
  • I know, definitely nuked something i shouldnt have =/

I have tried to repair the installation through the installer, as well as following these steps i found in another post:

• See if you have this file on your machine: "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe"
    • Start an admin command prompt
    • Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run AsAdministrator
    • If so, please launch it from an admin command prompt with a -full param
    • InstallCleanup.exe -full
    • If not, please manually delete the "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer” folder
    • Verify that your initial install location for VS is removed. If it is not, delete it manually.
    • Relaunch the newly downloaded vs_enterprise.exe (or vs_professional.exe or vs_community.exe…)
    • Allow the first step to install the installer
    • Once the installer comes up and you can see workload choices (.net desktop and the like), close it
    • Go launch the same InstallCleanup.exe to clean up old build of VS
    • Then relaunch vs_enterprise.exe and install VS

However i receive the same errors after re-installation. I will definitely checkout the potential solution you linked, as I havent had any success elsewhere. I also added more error output that wasnt originally in my post.

thanks!
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 3:24 PM
  • Hi friend,

It could be much help if you can share the log here. Then we can try to locate the cause of the issue by the log.

And as you mentioned above in your original post, after you delete a window .net directory, the VS2013, VS2015, VS2017 all throw errors. I think the files you deleted might be something related to .net framework which VS2013, VS2015, VS2017 all depends on, or there's another possibility that one folder which stores config files for VS2013,2015,2017 had been deleted. In this way, You can try repair every .net framework in your machine.

Also, it would be great help if you have some clues what directory the files you delete belongs to.  And have you tried to restore the deleted files in Recycle Bin? I think you can restore those files if they exist in the Recycle Bin, and this error can go away.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:10 AM