none
Missing fci.lib in Windows SDK 8.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Error 1 error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'fci.lib'

This lib was previously, in Windows SDK 7.0 avaliavle on the lib folder but is missing in 8.0
    The include files fci.h and fdi.h are available also in 8.0 but the lib is missing.

Is this an error or has the functionality been moved to another lib that is available in 8.0?

Thanks,
    GT

Friday, June 29, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:13 AM
  • can you check with the following kb for download 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618

Thanks and Regards Selvam http://www15.brinkster.com/selvamselvam/

Monday, July 2, 2012 8:59 AM
  • That kb article has a link to the latest version of Windows SDK and, fair enough, it is availavle in version 7.

What I tried to say in my original post is that it is missing in the Windows SDK version 8 that is installed with the VS2012RC. I just wanted to mention this with a hope that fci.lib will be included when you release the official version of Windows SDK 8.

It would be great if you could verify this or tell me if you don't. Would help me to solve the problem in the best possible way.

Thanks,

GT

Monday, July 2, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Any news on this issue?
    Monday, July 9, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi GT_MSDN,

For Windows 8 onward fci.lib and fdi.lib will become private internal libraries and will not included in Windows SDK

Best Regards,

Jenny

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Whats the reason behind and what do you recommend external users to do?

Thanks,
    GT

• Edited by GT_MSDN Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:27 AM
  • So how do we write code to create CAB files now? Any recommendations?
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Yet you include the header files (fci.h, fdi.h) in the SDK.  These are, of course, useless without the corresponding LIB files.  If you really want to remove the existing functionality, then remove the header files as well, and then we will all just curse you colourfully, dig the files out of an old SDK, throw them into our source control systems and move on.  Either that, or just admit that you left the libraries out by mistake and put them back.

Of course, a much better solution is to regard published header files and libraries as a contract between you and your consumers, and continue to support old APIs even when you think they're passé. By all means, put a __declspec(deprecated) declaration on the functions if you think we're crazy to still be using them.  But don't abandon us.

</rant>

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:42 AM
  • A year later, what is the solution?
    Monday, May 20, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I believe the solution is to link against cabinet.lib instead of fci.lib
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Just tested it. Works as expected.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:19 PM