IIS/WAS hosting : wiring up everything in AppInitialize .. is it possible ?

• hi, i'm trying to setup net.tcp on WAS with 0 config, that is, i want to setup everything programmatically (as in a windows service).

I've tried to put this code in the AppInitialize method 

hostSystem = newServiceHost(typeof(WKI.Cosmo.Business.ClientServices));    
    BindingtcpBinding = newNetTcpBinding(SecurityMode.None, true);          hostSystem.AddServiceEndpoint(typeof(WKI.Cosmo.Interop.IClientServices), tcpBinding,           "IClientServices2.svc");

this code is called but gives the following error.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Could not find a base address that matches scheme net.tcp for the endpoint with binding NetTcpBinding. Registered base address schemes are [].

This makes somehow sense, however of course i do not wabnt to register a base address since i'm hosted in IIS/WAS. Seems like this method is called to early.
    Is what i'm trying to do a supported way ? Is there any solution ?

thank you

enrico sabbadin

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:45 AM

All replies

• using ServiceHostFactory u can control the service instance to setup (i use it for a singelton as well), and other nice stuff.

But how can i have no info in the web.config at all, still have IIS/WCF landing on my factory ?

I think i need to hook something before in the call chain to do that. Appinitialize seems a nice place, however , from the error i get i don't kow how to grab the baseaddress (net.tcp://myserver/myvdir)., and i don't want to hardocode it.

I hope i explained myself clearly now :)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:55 PM
  • ok .. i checked out better the documentation . with ServiceHostFactory  i can control service instance AND it's endpoint construction .. so  i can get rid of that stuff from the config ..

But is there a way to get rid of svc files or the serviceactivations elments in the config fle .. and write this stuff in code as well ? appinitialize seems a good place but i don't know how to pick up the baseaddresses from IIS/WAS. (writing them in my custom section of the config file is not a good idea)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:49 PM
  • HI,

As Sabbadin metioned, you could use the ServiceHostFactory class to use a custom ServiceHost in the IIS or WAS hosting environment, it provides CreateServiceHost method one of which parameter is baseAddress, as for this, please check this article.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact Microsoft One Code Framework

• Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, April 06, 2012 2:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, April 06, 2012 2:24 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:22 AM