fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource. type:MANIFEST, name:1, language:0x0409_CVTRES_Appframe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am porting a application developed in VS6.0 to VS2008. the application uses some third party DLL. While compiling I am getting "fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource.  type:MANIFEST, name:1, language:0x0409"

I have following settings
    1) Generate Manifest =>Yes
    2) Allow Isolation => Yes
    3) I added following lines in "Additional Manifest Dependencies"

"type='Win32' name='Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls' version='6.0.0.0' processorArchitecture='*' publicKeyToken='6595b64144ccf1df' language='*'"

but it is still giving the same error. What else I need to do to fix this error?
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:31 PM

All replies

• It's probably because your VC 6 app needed a manifest and you have one in there.  Back in VC 6 days there were no provisions for automatically generating a manifest so you had to maintain one manually.  Remove your existing manifest from your rc file.  Then take the pieces you need out of it (or maybe you don't need any of it) and put it in the additional dependencies area you mentioned. 
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:44 PM
  • HI,
    thanks for reply.

A removed the manifeast entry from my rc file now the application is compiling correctly  but when it starts it gives VC++ runtime library error R6034

I got following error in debugger

First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in NetStudioStaticDebug.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
    Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in NetStudioStaticDebug.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

How to fix it?
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:14 PM
  • R6034 is a manifest error.  Can you open up your built EXE in Visual C++ using "Open With" and then choose resource editor.  Then see what your manifest looks like.  just post the contents here.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:43 AM
  • Here is my manifest data from resource editor

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
      <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <security>
          <requestedPrivileges>
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"></requestedExecutionLevel>
          </requestedPrivileges>
        </security>
      </trustInfo>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="Win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC90.DebugMFC" version="9.0.21022.8" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
    </assembly>
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi HemantKulkarni,

This error message shows the given resource was specified more than once. I would suggest you try to set Embed Manifest to No through Project > Properties... > Configuration Properties > Manifest Tools > Input and Output , or try to comment/remove the manifest from .rc file.

For more information, please see this link:

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/VC/microsoft.public.vc.language/2007-03/msg00462.html

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:58 AM
  • The manifest looks good.  I'm guessing you've got two manifests in your project somehow.  Get rid of the old one. 
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:37 AM
  • Hi HemantKulkarni,

Have you solved this issue? If you have solved this issue, could you please mark the replies which help you as answer? If so, please update the information in this thread for more information.

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:48 AM
  • the issue is still there. I confirmed that there is only 1 manifest (I removed the manifest file from resources and added setting for embedded in exe. When i open exe in SV I can see the manifest resource)

Now when I start application I get Runtime error R6034. I already added the separate entry for R6034 to fourm
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:00 PM
  • One extreme measure is to completely re-create your project by generating a new one using File-New project and then copying in your files into the project. I had to do this with at least two of my projects in the past.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:04 AM
  • I know this is a late response, but I had the same issue. I found that if I removed the manifest.xml or whatever extension from the .RC2 file and explicitly put in under MANIFEST TOOLS> INPUT AND OUTPUT>

Additional Manifest Files: _____ full path \ manifest.xml

Everything works as it should. This applies for Visual Studio 2013.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:46 PM