none
Visual Studio - Remote debugger RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody!

Right now, I'm having a hard time trying to make the remote debugger work and
    I was wondering if any of you could provide me with a little bit of help to sort
    this out!

First things first, Hardware:

Server 'A': A Win Server 2008 R2 under domain 'X' with VS2010 & Remote
    Debugger

Client 'B': A Win 7 with VS2010 under domain 'Y'

I created on both machines the account 'remotedebugger' (belongin to Admin
    group) with the same password. Then, I also set in 'Security settings' (on
    'Local Security policy') 'Network access: Sharing and security model for local
    accounts = Classic'.

I start in the client machine VS2010 and Remote Debugging monitor in the
    server, both using 'remotedebugger' user. In VS2010 I try to attach using
    'remotedebugger@A', then I go to the server to check the monitor and it tells me
    that I'm connected, but back in the client machine, VS2010 throws me a
    MessageBox telling me "Unable to connect to the Microsoft Visual Studio Remote
    Debugging Monitor named 'remotedebugger@A'. The Microsoft Visual Studio Remote
    Debugging Monitor on the remote computer cannot connect to the local computer.
    Unable to initiate DCOM communication. Please see Help for assistance."

And that's the bloody message that's been keeping me stuck this whole
    afternoon. So anybody got any idea how to get this through?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hi fretwio,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

A DCOM error occurred when the remote machine tried to communicate with the local machine. The local machine is the machine that is running Visual Studio. This error can occur for several reasons:

The local machine has a firewall enabled.

Windows authentication from the remote machine to the local machine is not working.

About how to resolve this issue:

1. If the local machine has Windows Firewall enabled, see How to: Set Up Remote Debugging for instructions about how to configure the firewall for local debugging.
    2. Test Windows authentication by trying to open a file share on the local machine from the remote server.
    3. To restore Windows authentication, try rebooting both machines. Examine event logs on local and remote machines for Kerberos errors and contact domain administrators for known problems.

Reference: Remote Debugging Errors and Troubleshooting

A similar thread about this issue, see Remote Debugging - Unable to connect. Hope it can help.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, April 2, 2012 6:29 AM