none
Strange version of MS...LanguageService.9.0.dll file RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I installed Visual Studio 2008 SDK Version 1.0 and tried to reimplement VS integration for Phalanger project (http://www.codeplex.com/Phalanger) using this version - I just took the IronPython sample and copied our original code to the project.

Anyway, I have a problem when using the DropDownMember type to implement drop down with types and members in the language service. The error is quite strange - I have a code that compares two DropDownMember instances, which calls the overloaded operator (implemented in Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.9.0.dll) and when the code executes it causes a complete crash to Visual Studio (the one running the plugin). I wrapped the code in try - catch block, but that didn't help either, so I tried looking at the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Package.LanguageService.9.0.dll assembly (located in the <installdir>\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\Assemblies) using Reflector and it looks that there is something wrong with the assembly (or I'm completely missing somethng important here!).

The overloaded operator code doesn't contain any code and when I run the "peverify" tool on the assembly it reports a number of errors (mostly because empty body is missing a return statement). This is really strange, because most of the other things work fine and the same assembly installed in the GAC looks fine too (it's size is 346160 while the size of the assembly in program files is 66648).

I guess that the version from Program Files should not be ever loaded by Visual Studio, but it looks that it happened in my case. Can someone verify that the assembly in Program Files is odd?

BTW: The SDK installer installs the files always in Program Files even when I select anoter directory during installation - is there any reason for that?

Thanks!

Sunday, December 16, 2007 11:12 PM

Answers

• There is a known issue in the DropDownMember function of the languageservice.dll.  The final fix is probably going to be in the next service pack of Visual Studio.

There is also a known issue with the installer path of the SDK.  The v1 of the 2008 sdk will always itself under the default program files directory.  It will be fixed in the next release of the SDK.

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:52 PM