none
Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 is broken RRS feed

• Question

• So i just installed Microsoft Visual Studio on my computer and i wont say it was straight forward because it wasn't. I installed it twice and both times it failed and said "Another installation is in progress". Anyway that's not why I'm here, third try and it worked fine. However when i launch it i cant click on anything, it just makes that windows sound that u get when there is a pop up that u have to click on first but there is no pop up anywhere.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi tomalele,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>However when i launch it i cant click on anything, it just makes that windows sound that u get when there is a pop up that u have to click on first but there is no pop up anywhere.

Do you mean that you have installed visual studio successfully, but it stops responding to mouse clicks after you open visual studio?

could you please provide some screenshots about it?

After installed visual studio, I recommend you restart your computer and then open visual studio to check if it could work well.

Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

devenv /safemode

It prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution. if it works, this issue should be caused by the extensions and you need to remove the installed extensions under Tools—Extensions and Updates.

Meanwhile, you could go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right-click visual studio and change-repair.

I need your help to gather the logs. Please run the command: devenv /log in the evaluated command prompt. And upload the file (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml) to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best regards,

Joyce

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I abandoned 2015 as I realized it was not the version i wanted to be using. So now i have 2010 but i cant open any of my projects from college. I get this error "Project1.csproj' cannot be opened because its project type (.csproj) is not supported by this version of the application. I dont know what to do and i really need to be able to work on stuff at home as well as on campus. Any Ideas?

• Edited by tomalele Friday, October 14, 2016 7:53 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Hi tomalele,

Thank you for the update.

According to your description, please refer to here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2745988/the-project-type-is-not-supported-by-this-installation.

The project you opened was created using a higher edition of Visual Studio and uses some of those advanced features. Thus you couldn’t open it.

EDIT: It is also possible that you lack some advanced frameworks like newer versions of Windows Mobile SDK.

Could you please provide more information about these project, like the project type?

Since your problem is not related to your first problem, I suggest you could repost a new thread to

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral to get professional support, thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 14, 2016 9:33 AM