none
Visual Studio Express 2012 For Windows Desktop : Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to run Visual Studio Express 2012 For Windows Desktop after a few months without running it and got the error message "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application."

The application used to work and has stopped working. Visual Studio Express 2012 For Web works, it is only desktop that has problems.

I have tried running the repair, uninstalling VS desktop, VS Web and every other .Net, SQL server and anything else that looks as though it could be remotely related to Visual studio and then reinstalling VS desktop and I still get the same error. I do not get any other indications of problems during installation.

The iso file is good as the original installation was working previously and stopped working, plus I have installed on a different machine using the same iso and it worked flawlessly.

I am running on Windows 7 x64 (fully patched). The ISO was downloaded last week and I have also tried the online installer.

My guess would be that this would look like a settings issue on my machine; Is there any way in which I can clear my Visual studio settings from this machine without having to wipe everything else?

Is there anything else anyone could suggest?

I have run the collect app and the results can be downloaded from here

Thanks

Thursday, May 2, 2013 12:20 PM

Answers

• According to the log, I find below:

1. On Apr30 you tried to install Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 beta, this conflict with RTM bits of Visual Studio 2012 Express. Please remove beta products before installing VS Express.
    2. [Product: Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 Object Model -- Error 1304.Error writing to file: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.dll.  Verify that you have access to that directory.  That means previous uninstall may failed. [Suggestion] stop permission inheritance from parent folder, and delete the folder that contains Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.dll. Restart the Visual Studio installation.  Ways to stop permission inheritance:

1. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\

2. Open folder properties, Security tab, Advanced buttons

3. Change permissions. > Disable inheritance.

There're tens of such issue like second one. Please follow similar process to fix.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 3, 2013 6:24 AM
  • According to the log, I find below:

1. On Apr30 you tried to install Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 beta, this conflict with RTM bits of Visual Studio 2012 Express. Please remove beta products before installing VS Express.
    2. [Product: Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 Object Model -- Error 1304.Error writing to file: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.dll.  Verify that you have access to that directory.  That means previous uninstall may failed. [Suggestion] stop permission inheritance from parent folder, and delete the folder that contains Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Controls.dll. Restart the Visual Studio installation.  Ways to stop permission inheritance:

1. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\

2. Open folder properties, Security tab, Advanced buttons

3. Change permissions. > Disable inheritance.

There're tens of such issue like second one. Please follow similar process to fix.

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Hello Mog, have you resolved the issue?

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:49 AM
  • Hello.

I don´t want to spam by starting a new thread about that.

I don´t have exactly the same circumstances but the error massage is the same 'Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application.'

I installed SQL Server 2012 around 3 months ago. The installation was fine, and I have no problems with it.
    Now I wanted to install Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop too!

The installation was fine. When it finished I pressed 'Start' at the bottom of the installation window. Then the mssage 'Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application' came up. 
    I just did a reboot of the computer, but I still got the error massage.

The installation also created NO SHORTCUTS IN THE START MENU OR ON THE DESKTOP.
    There are just 2 empty new folders in the start menu (I uploaded a screenshot for you: http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/14/11/12/87/empty_10.png)

Now I reinstalled Visual Studio Express 2012 the 6th time with different folder permissions and everything. And still no icons or shortcuts in the start menu!
    And WDExpress.exe still gives the error massage.

I was reading so much forum threads now, but no one had my error. I was reading something about a program which collect a .cab file. I uploaded it too: http://sdrv.ms/YTbRAp

I´m not familiar with Visual Studio Express 2012 yet (I was using 2010 on my old Computer before) and I´d be so happy if you could help me :)

Thank you. 

Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:34 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, February 17, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, February 17, 2014 8:25 PM