none
Make my software install Microsoft Access Database Engine while installing my software

Question

• Hi,

My software I have created requires 'Microsoft Access Database Engine' to be installed on someone's computer before they install my software.

Is it possible that when people install my software that this can automatically be installed on someone's computer during my install?

If yes, please provide a link or some guidance so I may have a go at this

If no, I guess that means I will have to rewrite, recreate a part of my software so that I am not using access database.

The link to my software for anyone wanting to see what I am referring to is

http://mathswhizz.org/Premium/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/EducationForLife.rar

Any ideas?

Thanks Nige

Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:04 PM

All replies

• See the following (and keep in mind there is a 32 and 64 bit version)

https://community.dynamics.com/gp/b/azurecurve/archive/2013/10/13/access-database-engine-redistributable-command-line-install

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Hi Nige,

If you want to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable before installing your software, you can add Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable in your project file when you package your project.

Right-click project----choose properties----choose publish tab---Prereguisites..., then you can see this screenshot, if you choose any one, it will be installed before your software is installed. But there is no Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable, so we need to know how to make Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable appear here?

You can take a look the following article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165429.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 09, 2018 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for the link interesting reading.

Cheers Nige.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Kunmo bu I enjoyed the read up

All the best Nige

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:02 PM
  • Hi, I have managed to create a package for both the 64 bit and 32 bit access database engine and add them to the prerequisites. I can now select them from Visual studio 2017 which is great.

The problem now is this, I have created a test install which consists of just 1 form with a button and I go to prerequisites and choose 64 bit Access Database Engine I then build my software and publish.

When I run the .exe the access database engine gets installed, I see the message Microsoft Access Database Engine has installed successfully. But I then see the error

I checked in control panel and access database engine has installed I confirmed this by running some software I know depends on it. The problem is my app is not being installed does anyone know why this would happen.

The error message does not appear to make sense, it says it installed successfully and underneath it says it failed to install.

I am thinking it is a problem with my XML files I created because I can install my app if I don't choose the access database engine from prerequisites that I created. On the other hand I can install the access database engine but not both together.

grrrrrr slowly getting there but open to suggestions :)

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:36 PM
  • Actually this can be somewhat problematic. If Microsoft Office is already installed you would have to know whether the 32-bit or 64-bit version is installed. For example, if the 32-bit version is already installed you can't install the 64-bit version without using the command line option "/passive", and making a Registry change after successful installation. If you don't use "/passive" when installing a different version than what is already installed the setup will fail. You can find more info at the below link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-install-64-bit-Microsoft-Database-Drivers-alongside-32-bit-Microsoft-Office.html

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:12 PM
  • Hi Paul, I have read up on what you are saying about the difference between 32 and 64-bit. Karen gave me a similar read. 

The problem Im facing is this, on my computer which is a 64 Im running 64-bit office and when I choose 64 from prerequisites I get the errors above in my earlier post. i.e., when I run the .exe I created the Access Database does get installed but my app doesn't. I was wandering if it could of been an option in VS17 that I have missed or something I have not included in my xml files I created. I might be barking up the wrong tree but as I am no stranger to which version I need I can only think I have missed something out.

Thanks Nige.

• Edited by nigelsvision Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:37 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:36 PM