none
Need to backup\restore Reporting DBs and Warehouse in TFS 2013 -> 2017 migration upgrade?

Question

• I created a TFS 2013 server with a few project collections, Reporting Services, Warehouse and Analysis DBs.  I backed up all databases -- except for the Reporting DBs and the Analysis DB -- and restored them to (a soon to be) new TFS 2017 server. (Only sql 2016.1 was installed on the TFS 2017 box).

I went through the TFS 2017 pre-production upgrade wizard successfully and later used the TFS 2017 Admin console to rebuild Reporting (i.e. the warehouse DB and cube). Everything seems to work fine. Why do many articles insist on backing up and restoring the Reporting Services DBs and the Analysis DBs?

TIA,
    edm2

P.S. I can the need for backup\restore if one created customized TFS 2013 reports, but we hadn't done that.

• Edited by edm2 Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:42 PM

Answers

• you should backup the reporting and analysis DB if you have customized reports and /or customized cubes. If you use standard, you don't have to backup them for migration if you just rebuild them.

For production backup/restore it is different. Then you do the backup to minimize downtime in case of restore.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi edm2,

Thank you for posting here.

Generally, you don’t need to backup/restore the Reporting DBs and Warehouse. Just backup the Collection DBs, then Rebuild the data warehouse and Analysis Services. The Reporting DBs and warehouses will finish rebuilding and the data will finish repopulating after the Start Rebuild action completes.

Of cause, you need to backup/restore them if you have customized reports, but I suggest you could customize them directory in the new server if there are few customizations, because you still have to configure Reporting and Analysis Services even if you restored the TFS_Warehouse and TFS_Analysis databases. Please see Configure Reporting and Analysis Services for details.

Best Regards.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM

All replies

• you should backup the reporting and analysis DB if you have customized reports and /or customized cubes. If you use standard, you don't have to backup them for migration if you just rebuild them.

For production backup/restore it is different. Then you do the backup to minimize downtime in case of restore.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi edm2,

Thank you for posting here.

Generally, you don’t need to backup/restore the Reporting DBs and Warehouse. Just backup the Collection DBs, then Rebuild the data warehouse and Analysis Services. The Reporting DBs and warehouses will finish rebuilding and the data will finish repopulating after the Start Rebuild action completes.

Of cause, you need to backup/restore them if you have customized reports, but I suggest you could customize them directory in the new server if there are few customizations, because you still have to configure Reporting and Analysis Services even if you restored the TFS_Warehouse and TFS_Analysis databases. Please see Configure Reporting and Analysis Services for details.

Best Regards.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by edm2 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:27 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by edm2 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:27 PM